What smell bothers you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coffee, hate the taste and the smell!
Burnt popcorn

I also dislike a lot of things others mentioned here: fingernail polish remover, incense, Pine Sol and most perfumes, especially flowery ones!

For me, Pine Sol and Lysol DO not smell like they should...they smell like the worst smell in the world to me, because that was what was used to clean up after "a mess."

Another : Microwave Popcorn that stuff reeks.

Salted cod being cooked. Also certain brands of vermouth other than Martini and Rossi (which I like). A whiff of Nolly Pratt vermouth causes a gag effect with me.

Last edited:
the smell of death. i know it sounds dramatic, but i hate the smell of a decaying thing from as small as a mouse stuck in a glue trap, to a person who's been dead and forgotten too long. the stench stays in your nose long after you are breathing fresh air.

the smell of death. i know it sounds dramatic, but i hate the smell of a decaying thing from as small as a mouse stuck in a glue trap, to a person who's been dead and forgotten too long. the stench stays in your nose long after you are breathing fresh air.

Odor molecules stick to the nasal passages and stay for awhile. That's why you see pics of coroners with a green gel smeared next to their nose. The scented gel odor molecules also stick to the nasal passages after the coroner is finished, overpowering the bad smelling molecules that hang around afterwards.

Last edited:
Odor molecules stick to the nasal passages and stay for awhile. That's why you see pics of coroners with a green gel smeared next to their nose. The scented gel odor molecules also stick to the nasal passages after the coroner is finished, overpowering the bad smelling molecules that hang around afterwards.

That reminds me.... the smell of a cadaver lab. I had that smell stuck in my nose for days after each class, it was awful.

I have an intensified sense of smell--so I can smell things other people can't. I am quite odor sensitive. I used to work for a client and there was one gentleman that wore a certain type of cologne/aftershave. Even if I got in an empty elevator car, if it was the one in which he had taken to the 19th floor, I could taste the aftershave/cologne in the back of my throat. By the time I got to the 19th floor, I'd have a wicked headache. I soon learned to get off the elevator on the 2nd floor and try a different car. The soap aisle makes me sneeze. Lilacs make me sneeze, but I love them, so I put up with that, the same with peonies. Lilacs and peonies remind me of time spent with my maternal grandmother (before me nose developed). Maybe that is why I want to have them in the garden and in the house!

Last edited:
That reminds me.... the smell of a cadaver lab. I had that smell stuck in my nose for days after each class, it was awful.

I can recognize the smell of someone in ketoacidosis from the doorway. This is severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Most people who are actively dying have this smell about them, I was shocked when I smelled it on Shrek when he was in the hospital. I got his IV fluids changed to a sugar solution.

I can recognize the smell of someone in ketoacidosis from the doorway. This is severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Most people who are actively dying have this smell about them, I was shocked when I smelled it on Shrek when he was in the hospital. I got his IV fluids changed to a sugar solution.
Is that the smell you can sometimes detect on diabetics? I use to notice a funny smell on my mum, who was diabetic, every once in a while. I didn't associate with diabetes until many years later.

When I was a treenager, I worked in a state hospital for the chronical ill. You knew when someone was dying because they used to put a powerful deoderizer in the room. It didn't help much. But you got used to the smell. I once was feeding a patient that died while I was feeding her. I kept waiting for her to swallow. She was 102 y.o.:ohmy:

Is that the smell you can sometimes detect on diabetics? I use to notice a funny smell on my mum, who was diabetic, every once in a while. I didn't associate with diabetes until many years later.

Yes, that is the smell, ketoacidosis in diabetics shouldn't happen, but is expected in someone who is dying.

I don't find it revolting, I have become accustomed to it in my work with end-of-life care. But, it was a shocker to smell it on Shrek.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Yes, that is the smell, ketoacidosis in diabetics shouldn't happen, but is expected in someone who is dying.

I don't find it revolting, I have become accustomed to it in my work with end-of-life care. But, it was a shocker to smell it on Shrek.

Thank goodness you caught it, and got his IV changed!

I remember that smell when I worked in the nursing home as a teen too.

Last edited:
Thank goodness you caught it, and got his IV changed!

I remember that smell when I worked in the nursing home as a teen too.

It is a natural process when someone is dying of old age, not natural in a younger person. There is a very fine line between it being a process you anticipate and one that is not wanted.

I'm glad you are so good at what you do and was able to recognize it in Mr. Shrek! I love a good nurse :wub:

Unfortunately, it seems incidents like this are far too common at many health care facilities. What's the cost per shift for a private RN in your neck of the 'woods'? How amenable are health care facilities to patients being attended to by private nurses?

Unfortunately, it seems incidents like this are far too common at many health care facilities. What's the cost per shift for a private RN in your neck of the 'woods'? How amenable are health care facilities to patients being attended to by private nurses?

Depends on the what organization a private duty nurse works for. Around here it is $60-75 an hour, the organization has to get it's cut. The hospital loves a private duty nurse, they don't have to pay them, but the nurse is still saddled with the hospital policy when it comes to getting what their patient needs and road blocks can be thrown in their way by extra protocols they must follow. This is as much to protect the nurse and the hospital in case of a lawsuit as it is to cause a slow down in care.

I believe in family members to be fully empowered in the decision making process, because they KNOW the baseline of the patient. My concerns and anger over aspects of Shrek's care have been reported, also the manner I was treated when voicing my concerns. I also have the advantage of being a classmate of the Nurse Manager of the hospital in question, she knows me and my work.

Heck hath no fury like a nurse taking care of her own ogre.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom