"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #1151
Master Chef

After seeing Jack Niholson in Bucket's List he is definitely diverse in selecting his movie roles.........I saw him last week in a reprise of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.......of course that one sealed his career forever

Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #1152
Master Chef

The Game Plan... could not watch it all.... got bored with it.

The Hills Have Eyes II.... another semi lame movie that I watched, but was lacking.

Bable .... decent movie.... wayyyyyyyyy to looooooooooong!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #1153
Head Chef

Sattie, I watched Babel on a flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong last year. I was a "captive audience" so to speak. Still, found it long and very depressing. Followers of Brad Pitt's career will find it interesting, though, because he gives a really exceptional performance.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #1154
Assistant Cook

At the theatre the last movie I saw was Iron Man - it was ok -

At home it would be Hairspray - John Travolta is one ugly woman, but it made me laugh (I love Christopher Walken)
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #1155
Senior Cook

I just watched "The Insider" last night, about the tobacco company whistle blower. Engrossing, enraging, and very well done; all that a movie should be.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #1156
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Sattie, I watched Babel on a flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong last year. I was a "captive audience" so to speak. Still, found it long and very depressing. Followers of Brad Pitt's career will find it interesting, though, because he gives a really exceptional performance.
I really liked the movie, I'm just to the point where the shorter the movie the better. It definately makes you think tho!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #1157
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
After seeing Jack Niholson in Bucket's List he is definitely diverse in selecting his movie roles.........I saw him last week in a reprise of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.......of course that one sealed his career forever
Oh Gosh, thanks so much for bringing up One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest! I read the book just after it was published and adored it. Later, when I saw the film, I was blown away by Will Sampson's character Chief Bromden. Not only did he play the part just as I had imagined it, but he looked exactly like my father (except my father wasn't tall like that). Well, I came home and told my dad and pestered him to go and see it with me. Finally he did and he said Oh yeah, he looks a lot like some of my relatives I remember as a child. Not long after, I discovered he was born in OK in the same town as my father and he was Creek Indian, just as my father was. I never even knew what tribe my father's ancestors were or that my father was 3/4 Creek Indian! Odd that I never realized it because we have very dark skin and Native American features. Later, Will Sampson died in Houston, where I lived, following surgical complications. Anyway, after that long and OT story, this is a great movie and well worth watching!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #1158
Master Chef

So sorry to here about Will Sampson and I thank you so much for the background info....I had heard that he was a real Indian recruited for the part.........I actually found it very difficult to watch this movie again......I guess I knew what was going to happen....but apparently the author was quite upset that the movie was NOT told from the chief's point of view.....how interesting.......I thought that both the book and movie were great, too..........
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #1159
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I really liked the movie, I'm just to the point where the shorter the movie the better. It definately makes you think tho!

A D D
I watched game plan, it was cute! We all have our own idea of good though.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #1160
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
No Country for Old men- I liked it, good stuff, and I love the hit man character.