"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #1511
Executive Chef

Quote:
Silent Night.
Something tells me I've seen this in German with English sub titles. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was the most incredible movie I have ever seen!!!! Did they have Scottish soldier playing the bagpipes???

Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #1512
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Something tells me I've seen this in German with English sub titles. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was the most incredible movie I have ever seen!!!! Did they have Scottish soldier playing the bagpipes???
No bagpipes. This movie took place entirely at the widow's cabin in the woods. She was trying to get her son away from the war (she had alreadly lost one son and husband) and took him to their cabin. On Christmas Eve some American soldiers, one wounded, were lost and arrived at her cabin. While they were distracted by the wounded man, her son hid their guns somewhere outside. Then some German soldiers came. She told them they had to leave their guns outside. Of course they didn't want to, but they were led to believe the Americans had guns on them. I won't say any more than that, as I don't want to give it away. It was a very heartwarming story, told very well. It starred Linda Hamilton. Some of it was in German (with subtitles), but most of it was in English. I would highly recommend this movie. As I said, it was based on a real event.

Barbara

Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #1513
Sous Chef

Quote:
I watched a Hindi film titled Veer-Zaara last night. It was a very long film, 3 hrs+, and made me cry throughout the film. It was an excellent love story.
This film was a blockbuster hit in india. I don't like the movie it is too sentimental, but I love the songs.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #1514
Sous Chef

Quote:
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Scull (or whatever it was called). This was actually better than I expected, but I had very low expectations for it. I thought the end was a bit stupid, but overall I enjoyed the movie.
Previous Indiana Jones are better. The chasing scene in this movie is too lengthy and ridiculous.

One thing I want to say there are many wrong things, that are showed about Hinduism in the movie 'Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom'.

We don't eat living leeches and monkey skull as desserts.

The practice of human sacrifice was very ancient and rare.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #1515
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
This film was a blockbuster hit in india. I don't like the movie it is too sentimental, but I love the songs.
Also, a few nights ago I watched Om, Jai, Jagadish. This also was an excellent film which I enjoyed very much. Again, a tear jerker.

A friend of mine has a collection of Hindi films and he lends them to me from time to time.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #1516
Master Chef

In the Land of Women. The wife went upstairs and to bed about 1/3 of the way thru, I managed to watch it all the way thru. Neither of us liked it and returned it to Netflix fast.

We also watched Rambo (the new one). Wow did they ever spend time on the blood and guts parts of it. Grossed the wife out and once again she went to bed early, I watched it all the way thru and while I did like it I also feel there was way more gore than necessary for the story line.
Kinda reminded me of "Hot Shots part Duex" where they have a scene with Charlie Sheen firing a M-60 machine gun while a body counter kept track of how many were shot and how that compared to other movies until it reached "Highest Body Count of All Time!!".

Tonight it is 3:10 to Yuma (also the new one). We will see how it compares to the old one, and whether or not it ends up another early night for the wife, LOL.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #1517
Sous Chef

Quote:
Also, a few nights ago I watched Om, Jai, Jagadish. This also was an excellent film which I enjoyed very much. Again, a tear jerker.
Om, Jai, Jagadish was a flop movie. It is the one of the so many stereotype Indian movie.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 AM   #1518
Sous Chef

Quote:
Tonight it is 3:10 to Yuma (also the new one).
I had watched 3:10 to Yuma. New one with Russell Crowe?

I cannot understand the movie properly.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #1519
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
Om, Jai, Jagadish was a flop movie. It is the one of the so many stereotype Indian movie.
Interesting to know. I'm not too familiar with Indian culture, although the successes of the two younger brothers in the film seemed so far fetched. What made this film so stereotypical?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #1520
Master Chef

March of the Penquins and Rear Window

« Let's Talk TV | - »