What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're knocking the dust off of old ones from the library system. Friday night we watched "Big Night" with Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci. It was OK, but slow-moving. Himself said it would have been better had it been only 42 minutes! :LOL:

I love that movie. It's a must see for foodies. :)

spoilers:

I love how at the end of the film, the brothers wake up and Stanley Tucci's character just starts making scrambled eggs for his brother and the waiter/busboy. It's such a poignant scene that says "life goes on".

The food critic never showed up, they can't pay their suppliers, and they'll probably lose the restaurant, but it's OK because they both have each other still and they have love. Tony Shalhoub's character has the florist lady, and Stanley Tucci's character has the lady played by Minnie Driver. That's all we need in life -- love. The rest of it is just icing on the cake.

If you have around one hour to spare take a look at this documentary called Dogtown Redemption:

Dogtown Redemption Full Film | Video | Independent Lens | PBS

It is the Amir Soltani And Chihiro Wimbush film that looks at the lives of a few homeless people in the Oakland California area that pick up trash for recycling. This is cut down from a full 95 minutes, but still amazing to watch.

Health problems plague a couple of them as they try to make an existence from doing recycling on a daily basis.

Not a lot of happy moments here, but you might wind up with a different perspective of these people after watching this documentary.

Supposed to be free to watch online until 8/15/2016

Our satellite provider has been providing us with some extra movie channels as an enticement to "up" or plan. Won't work but we've been enjoying, and recording, lots of movies.

Last night we watched one of those recordings, The Karate Kid. I'd never seen it and Glenn said he thought I'd enjoy it. I really liked it and am looking forward to seeing the sequel, which might or might not be as good.

This one was a fun, sweet film.

I recently saw the All Things Must Pass documentary on the rise and then really hard fall of the Tower Records company. A roughly 95 minute fun watch.

A company that started out in California and then moved on to the west coast before trying out in Japan before going really global.

The people behind the company, at least the ones that spoke for a majority of the show, were really happy to work for the company. A good portion of the show was talking about all the booze and drugs they did together as the company was growing. A full on party happy company.

Just for them alone the documentary is a must see, BUTT we also get...

Bruce Springsteen, Dave Ghrol, and Elton John that added some nice celebrity commentary to this piece. Dave said it was the only place that would hire him due to his hair. Elton said they would open the store early just for him to make his massive purchases.

As they company moved on from LP'S to CD'S the company wound up with too many bad deals. Then Wal-mart and Target selling CD'S for at cost pricing along with Napster, internet, and iTunes doomed the company. The Fall of the company segment did not last long, but you knew it was just coming.

In the end you saw one of the founders going to Japan to see the Tower Records Stores that were still open for business.

A full thumbs up from me and a must see.

^^^ Yes, All Things Must Pass was an excellent documentary. I saw it a couple of months ago. I've shopped at their Sunset Strip location dozens of times back during the 90's.
Too bad about their demise, and it's interesting that during that time only the Japanese market stayed strong and continued to be in the black even to this day.

Off Topic. Leonardo DiCaprio as Orson Wells. Citizen Kane wasn't a success at the box office upon release. Years later his film got recognized as the greatest picture of all time.

Martin Scorsese directs. You know it's got to happen. Leonardo DiCaprio already resembles Orson Wells in some ways.

Last edited:
We weren't around last night but night before last we watched a 1999 Val Kilmer movie entitled At First Sight. Wonderful story and as Glenn especially enjoys, it was based on a true story. Highly recommend it if you can get it through your cable or dish provider or wherever you find old films.

We weren't around last night but night before last we watched a 1999 Val Kilmer movie entitled At First Sight. Wonderful story and as Glenn especially enjoys, it was based on a true story. Highly recommend it if you can get it through your cable or dish provider or wherever you find old films.

Thanks Katie, I just finished watching At First Sight and it was wonderful!
BTW, it was made in 2013.

I streamed it for free with my Amazon Prime membership.

https://www.amazon.com/At-First-Sig...66104374&sr=8-1&keywords=at+first+sight+movie

I recently saw the All Things Must Pass documentary on the rise and then really hard fall of the Tower Records company. A roughly 95 minute fun watch.

A company that started out in California and then moved on to the west coast before trying out in Japan before going really global.

The people behind the company, at least the ones that spoke for a majority of the show, were really happy to work for the company. A good portion of the show was talking about all the booze and drugs they did together as the company was growing. A full on party happy company.

Just for them alone the documentary is a must see, BUTT we also get...

Bruce Springsteen, Dave Ghrol, and Elton John that added some nice celebrity commentary to this piece. Dave said it was the only place that would hire him due to his hair. Elton said they would open the store early just for him to make his massive purchases.

As they company moved on from LP'S to CD'S the company wound up with too many bad deals. Then Wal-mart and Target selling CD'S for at cost pricing along with Napster, internet, and iTunes doomed the company. The Fall of the company segment did not last long, but you knew it was just coming.

In the end you saw one of the founders going to Japan to see the Tower Records Stores that were still open for business.

A full thumbs up from me and a must see.

The company started around the corner from my wife's house. We used to go there. Awesome memories.

Oliver Sacks is also the inspiration for the movie Awakenings. There is also a related 'talk' that lasts about an hour or so, with the actual Oliver Sacks, the neurologist, speaking about neurology and all the interesting people he's met and the diseases they have, and how they relate. This is on Amazon Prime, you'll have to search around for it.

Oliver Sacks is also the inspiration for the movie Awakenings. There is also a related 'talk' that lasts about an hour or so, with the actual Oliver Sacks, the neurologist, speaking about neurology and all the interesting people he's met and the diseases they have, and how they relate. This is on Amazon Prime, you'll have to search around for it.

Thanks, blissful. I'll have to look this up. I think I'd find it interesting.

It's a bit about music and the mind, it was very interesting. I noodled around in Amazon Prime video and it is called: 92Y-Dr. Oliver Sacks on Music and the Mind (April 24, 2007)

Awakenings is one of my favorite movies. I enjoyed At First Sight, too. When I was a young girl, I wanted to study Music Therapy, to help people, and after I watched the 92Y talk, I sometimes still wish I had.

Oliver Sacks spent his life helping people with all kinds of neurological issues, he's written many many books. Such an interesting guy.

Back
Top Bottom