"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #4571
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969

What are the books about CC?
The Hunger Games was a country's response to its districts rebelling against the capitol. The capitol decided in order to remind the districts not to go to war again, each year one boy and one girl (age 12 - 18) from each district would be picked by lottery to go to the capitol and fight each other to the death.
There are 3 books to the series: The Hunger Games, Girl On Fire, & The Mockingjay. I recommend all three. I finished one & couldn't wait to get the next.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #4572
Executive Chef

The last movie I saw was...

The Restless from 2006.

The movie was from South Korea and has English subtitles. It had a very weird story line, but was very beautiful at times to look at. I say see it.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #4573
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
The Hunger Games was a country's response to its districts rebelling against the capitol. The capitol decided in order to remind the districts not to go to war again, each year one boy and one girl (age 12 - 18) from each district would be picked by lottery to go to the capitol and fight each other to the death.
There are 3 books to the series: The Hunger Games, Girl On Fire, & The Mockingjay. I recommend all three. I finished one & couldn't wait to get the next.
Thank you CC, they do sound very interesting
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #4574
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night we watched Captain America...we enjoyed it
Old 09-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #4575
Head Chef

Fitzcarraldo starring Klaus Kinski and Claudia Cardinale. My second time; first was several years ago. I liked it just as much this time. An unusual adventure from German film-maker Werner Herzog. Enjoyed seeing German coming out of the Peruvians' mouths while I read the English subtitles.

I recently also saw one of Herzog's documentaries (Cave of Forgotten Dreams) -- I was unaware of the 1994 discovery of these ancient cave paintings in the south of France. Lascaux, the other cave with animal paintings, was found in 1940, also in the south of France. Created thousands of years ago, the figures are incredibly accurate and beautiful.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #4576
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Fitzcarraldo starring Klaus Kinski and Claudia Cardinale. My second time; first was several years ago. I liked it just as much this time. An unusual adventure from German film-maker Werner Herzog. Enjoyed seeing German coming out of the Peruvians' mouths while I read the English subtitles.

I recently also saw one of Herzog's documentaries (Cave of Forgotten Dreams) -- I was unaware of the 1994 discovery of these ancient cave paintings in the south of France. Lascaux, the other cave with animal paintings, was found in 1940, also in the south of France. Created thousands of years ago, the figures are incredibly accurate and beautiful.
I haven't heard Claudia Cardinale's name in years. She came here to try her hand in Hollywood. The only parts she could get were the dumb beautiful other woman. She got frustrated and went back to Europe.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #4577
Traveling Welcome Wagon

James just bought "Hunger Games" so we will be watching that soon. Our last movie was "Battleship." We all enjoyed it. Very predictable, but in a fun way. I liked how they brought a few references from the Battleship game into it, like the bombs that were hitting the ships looking just enough like the game pegs to make you think of them (plus the way they hit, and then they gave a final push before blowing up).
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #4578
Master Chef

Went to see "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" while visiting my daughter in the city recently. Good one.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #4579
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We watched "The Hunger Games" tonight, and I was very impressed by the fairly tasteful way they handled the whole subject matter. James and I both enjoyed it, and I plan to buy the books as soon as I can.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #4580
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Went to see "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" while visiting my daughter in the city recently. Good one.
I have heard lots of good things about this movie