"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I had visions of licking whipped cream off human flesh...

I have a theory. I believe that the people you see enjoying the beverage while the whipped cream sits stoicly on top are people so heartless and cruel that the whipped cream is literally petrified, believing if it doesn't move, it won't be noticed.

When I was younger, I adored whipped cream on hot chocolate, with a touch of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. I am a person who can truly appreciate instant gratification and rarely gave the cream a chance to melt...all save the very last blops of it. That, being it was almost wasted anyway, I'd stir into the chocolate.

I'm all grown up now, and have a hard time rationalizing whipped cream on anything....except of course, my toes.....
You're never to old for whipped cream! I don't really see a point in giving much the whip a chance to melt either, it never really seems to make my drink any creamier.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef

not too old for whipped cream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
You're never to old for whipped cream! I don't really see a point in giving much the whip a chance to melt either, it never really seems to make my drink any creamier.
I just think my butt has had enough whipped cream...haha

Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

Vera, I'm a hot chocolate fan, too. I don't like coffee, no matter how much they dress it up.
Call me crazy, but I like Cool Whip better than whipped Cream. Even the lite style Cool Whip is good. I haven't tried the sugar-free stuff yet, but I suppose I will next time I buy it, as I'm not supposed to be eating sugar now.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:51 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I love the coffee based frappacinos. I haven't had a cream based one, as I get the feeling there would be no going back! You can get a coffee one for under 200 calories for a grande, so if you balance everything else out, you can get away with it!

Obesity is a huge problem, but you can't purely lay it at the door of big companies like Starbucks. We are responsible for our own health and well being. There are plenty of healthy alternatives out there, but we as obese people (I was morbidly obese, but now I'm just plain obese, and soon will be just overweight!), and my obesity was down to laziness. Poor eating habits and complete inactivity. And fear - which is another story.

Starbucks isn't making anyone fat, we are the ones making ourselves fat.

Off the soapbox now, it's safe to come out!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
Sous Chef

"We are responsible for our own health and well being."

Exactly, which is why I found fryboy's informative post a helpful reminder. Sometimes it's easy to conveniently forget what we're ingesting -- and, btw, spending a good chunk of money while doing so. As fryboy said, once in a while is fine, but too many of us have made these "milkshakes" and other high-fat/high-caloric coffee drinks a daily part of our diet.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

well, this thread has been very enlightening for me, was in a Starbucks once, but have never purchased anything from one. I knew nothing of the fat etc content of the beverages.
I like to ask people who visit these places often; how much money have you put by for your retirement? Seems to me that would be a better place to put your money. I guess I am not much into instant gratification, but I do want to have fun in my later years, so I am willing to sacrifice now to play later.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Hehe, yes I know they're terrible for you, but I'll wait until I need to worry about that until I start thinking about it, because if you overthink about whats in there it spoils the joy. Until then I'll just be young and enjoy my blissfull beverages. Plus, I wouldn't be able to get a sugar-high without those calories. And I live for sugar highs.
Those 'sugar highs' can lead you straight to diabetes, and the fat content in the drinks can clog up your arteries. Your body is so much more than what you see in the mirror, or how your jeans are fitting.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Those 'sugar highs' can lead you straight to diabetes, and the fat content in the drinks can clog up your arteries. Your body is so much more than what you see in the mirror, or how your jeans are fitting.
Yikes. Diebetes. My dad is borderline deibetic. And both of my parents have dangerously high blood pressure and cholestorol, though you wouldn't guess it from looking at my mom. I guess I should start eating healthier for the long. But I do try... sometimes. This thread could be good for me.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, at least visiting Starbucks is one sin I don't commit. I just don't like the taste of any of their products.

BigDog, around here the local Caribou is the hangout of choice for my non-driving daughter and her friends. I think their drinks are as ridiculous as Starbucks, but with better decor, I'll agree.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yikes. Diebetes. My dad is borderline deibetic. And both of my parents have dangerously high blood pressure and cholestorol, though you wouldn't guess it from looking at my mom. I guess I should start eating healthier for the long. But I do try... sometimes. This thread could be good for me.
If you have a family history of diabetes or heart disease - and it appears that you have both - then you certainly should be a little less cavalier with what you're eating.