"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Here in Hawaii, we are wondering what would happen if a disaster like the one in the south ever hits us. FOUR DAYS, and some had no help at all! Imagine getting help from the gov. here in the islands.

I've been praying every day for those poor souls that have lost everything. Where is the food and water that our donations paid for? May God Bless us, all.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Supplies are here........4 days to late! Funny how the help came right when the Prez. was there.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

I just pray that it's not too late for the weaker ones there!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Let's just hope things get better real soon
other than worse with every passing minute.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

Abus carrying evacuees, has overturned in Opelousas, Louisiana on their way to Texas. One man was killed and 10 seriously injured. Like these poor people haven't gone through enough
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I caught a little of Ted Koppel on Night Line last night. Was sorry I missed some of the show. He seemed to pose all the questions we've asked ourselves. I'm hoping there will be a follow-up this evening...if any one has a chance to tune in (channel 7). Can't help thinking this will affect all of us in the coming months in one way or another. For now, thinking try to make the most of each day & be good to one another. Terrible situation. At a loss for words. Hoping for the best.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Abus carrying evacuees, has overturned in Opelousas, Louisiana on their way to Texas. One man was killed and 10 seriously injured. Like these poor people haven't gone through enough
Oh my, I hadn't heard that!

I hav so much sympathy, especially for the folks that were in the Superdome. They were they people that for whatever reason, couldn't evacuate and had to ride out the storm - then to go through all of this...

I've lived through an F5 tornado - major storms like this are basically **** on earth....

John
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....1bfe9697.html
Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #19
DC Grandma

I ask "why didn't the States close by send in busses to take out the ones who didn't have a way to get out??

We have been in numbers 2 and 3 and believe me if I was told a 5 was on it's way..I would have walked out.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #20
Cook

This has been a sad sad week. It's devastating. I just can't watch any more. It's too heartbreaking!!

I watched some of the hurricane relief tonight and I was a mess by the time Faith Hill started singing. I had to turn it off. First time my tv's been off in a very very long time, But I think I'm getting depressed.

I can't imagine living through such a thing then to have nothing not even a glass of cold water. Something we take for granted. We are all very lucky. Thankfully Are bodies were made to persevere through hard times, and our spirit's to bounce back, but I think this will change a lot of people forever.

God bless those who are suffering and give us all the means to come out of this as better people, who have learned something this week. About whats turly important, how fortunate we really are and just how easy it can be taken away.

Life's about lessons and I know I've learned more than one.

TC All