Where is the help that N.O. needs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your right wannabake!!
We all need to sit back and rethink our lives sometimes. What we really need and what we can do without.
We need to tell everyone that has had an impact on our lives how much we love them and remember that always!!

Hubby and I are both veterans and world travelers, and have not been happy with the response to New Orleans. Texas, right next door, and I might add, the home of our esteemed president, has a military presence that could challenge many countries, yet their national guard wasn't called out to help right away, and they could have been mobilized within hours. BTW, the National Guard "belongs" to the governer of each state. The president can call them up, but as a general rule, for local emergencies, the governer of each state decides what is going to happen with his/her own troops. Hubby believes that the commisioner of police and the mayor are guilty of cowardice under fire. There were thousands at the superdome, and where was the mayor? Even when we went there as tourists, eveyone knew if a hurricane hit the city, it would be a disaster. When it happened, where were the "leaders"? No wonder the young won't vote.

The USA has always had the policy of politely refusing offers of aid. Offers have been made from countries like mine (UK), Germany, Canada, Australia, France and even South American countries who have little to give. It has all been refused.

I think this is extremely short-sighted of the US Govt. We WANT to help. LA and Mississippi need help. It has been nothing short of a scandal for it to take so long to get aid into the stricken areas.

My heart goes out to all those who are caught up in the catastrophe.

This is certainly a tragedy of massive proportions and it is just going to get worse before it gets better.

Lets keep in mind that we can not discuss politics here. Please keep this thread void of any political comments. I know with a situation like this that that is not going to be easy, but it is something we must do. Thanks everyone.

I know Texas is doing all it can to help their neighbors. We've taken in as many as we can and are telling them to keep on coming. People here are doing everything they can to help. I live in the Houston area. It's just amazing. It is sad though that with the good people, are coming a lot of bad ones. People who are looters and druggies that have not had their drugs and are going through withdrawal, people who have lost it and need help. Unfortunately , these people are having to live together. I feel like everyone is doing what they can. No one was prepared for this and should have been. Especially New Orleans. They've just been very lucky. It was a matter of time. It could have easily hit my area. I would have gotten out of the area quickly. People need to quit worrying about the what ifs, and they should of, and just start doing what they can to help. Oh, and don't forget the animals. :) They need help too!

Ohhh goodie! A discussion I can sink my teeth into! :mrgreen:

How do you mobilize what is needed at the drop of a hat? This is NOT just New Orleans. This is the whole Gulf Coast. Did we know this was going to happen on this scale? no. Could this have been done quicker? Probably. How much quicker? Possibly one day sooner. Whos to blame? The people that COULD have left when they were told its MANDITORY to leave. Ride a bike. Run. Walk. Whatever. The people that my heart hurts most for are the ones that were in the hospitals and the elderly. They had no choice.

The government is doing their best to mobilize what needs to get there. And if you are perfect please tell us. If you can see into the future please tell us. :rolleyes:

Whether you agree with me or not I still love ya. Lets work the problem and quit pointing fingers. Lets do our best to encourage and help the good folks that need it.

This not an argument, just a factual clarification.
Ishbel said:
The USA has always had the policy of politely refusing offers of aid. Offers have been made from countries like mine (UK), Germany, Canada, Australia, France and even South American countries who have little to give. It has all been refused.

She said the United States had turned down no offer of assistance from overseas, but is being deliberate about how it accepts offers

http://washingtontimes.com/world/20050902-094525-4794r.htm

God bless the countries that are helping! THANK YOU! :)

It's all well and good to say now's not the time to point fingers. Who will tell that to the families who have lost loved ones waiting, and waiting for help.

And yes, they did know it was going to be bad. Why did they issue a mandatory evacuation? Some one dropped the ball somewhere.

I love you too, Sush.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
The government is doing their best to mobilize what needs to get there.

The USDA Forest Service has mobilized 6 Type I Incident Management Teams to the Gulf Coast. My district ranger left for that area 5 days ago. Type I Incident Management teams are used to mobilizing personnel, equipment, supplies, and etc. for large incidents.

Here is a blurb from the our website about what the incident management teams are doing. These teams are normally used to support large wildfires. Due to the draw down of personnel helping with Katrina our National Preparedness Level is a Level 4 with 5 being the highest.

HURRICANE KATRINA SUPPORT, Federal Emergency Management Agency. Emergency Support Function #4 is staffed at the Regional Response Coordination Centers in Atlanta, GA and Denton, TX. Six Type 1 Incident Management Teams (Custer, Quesinberry, Pincha-Tulley, Gelobter, Cable and Molumby) are assigned. Custer’s Team is managing a field hospital and refugee camp at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in Port Allen, LA. Quesinberry’s Team is managing a mobilization center in Meridian, MS. Pincha-Tulley’s Team is managing two camps and supporting the receiving and distribution of relief supplies at Stennis Space Center in MS. Gelobter’s Team is managing a base camp at Montgomery, AL. Cable’s Team is assigned to Metairie, LA. Molumby’s Team is being assigned to San Gabriel, LA.

Two Type 2 Incident Management Teams (Lineback and Mullenix) are assigned. Lineback’s Team is providing support for the receiving and distribution of supplies and resources at a mobilization center in Camp Beauregard, Pineville, LA. Mullenix’s Team is being assigned to San Antonio, TX. A Texas State Incident Management Team is assigned at Baton Rouge, LA. A North Carolina State Incident Management Team (Hildreth) has been ordered. A Planning Team (Terry) is supporting relief efforts at the Long Term Recovery Center in Orlando, FL.

Four Logistics Management Teams have been mobilized; two to Meridian, MS, and one each to Maxwell Air Force Base, AL and Barksdale Air Force Base, LA. A Florida State All Risk Incident Management Team (Hill) has been assigned to Biloxi, MS. The Team is providing logistical support to Florida Urban Search and Rescue teams. A Florida State Incident Management Team (Jones) has established a Logistics Staging Area at Stennis Space Center in MS. The Team is helping with distribution of relief supplies throughout southern Mississippi. Two National Park Service All Risk Teams are assigned, one each in Everglades NP and Ocean Spring,

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

Last edited:
All of this has reminded me what a really good governor we have. Jeb is quick to get everything started as soon as the storm has gotten away. He doesn't wait for the federal guys to move in. He is hands on in every step. Also he visits every county periodically. We see him even if there isn't a problem. I wish NO had been so blessed to have one like him.

He also has a personal ear at the White House, which can't hurt.:rolleyes:

But I do know what you're saying; I wish we had seen more of the NO mayor and LA governor; what I did see of them was pretty incompetent, IMHO.

I remember during Hugo, the visual presence of our mayor and chief of police brought is all comfort; their leadership provided some stability to our own nightmares.

Everyone, I need to ask one more time to keep this conversation void of ALL political comments. This includes things of a positive nature. I think this thread is a great thread and very valuable, but rules are rules and we need to respect them. Please feel free to discuss this topic, but leave the government and governors and anything else political out of it. I know it is not easy as those things are completely intertwined in this subject, but please understand that will someone might think someone is doing a great job there are others who will think they are not. This is not a place for those types of discussions. We have been kind of lenient on the rules in this thread because of the sensitive nature of the topic, but please lets respect the rules so that this thread can continue and hopefully help with peoples healing process in some small way. Thank you for understanding!

Thanks Marm. This is a hard subject to not get polical in so a little leeway is appropriate here I think. It is not just you Marm and my comments were not directed at any one person. Just a general reminder to everyone. Thanks :)

I just read that we have taken in an estimated 223,000 people:ohmy: And you also have to think of how many in are in other states.
Thankfully, we're going to get some relief as far as the cost.
We were worried about having enough to keep them here as long as they need to and now we'll be getting some federal relief while they are here to help with food, water and housing. I just hope that it won't take to long for these poor souls to get back to their normal lives. I can't imagine how hard it must be to rely on strangers for something as little as underwear or shoes. They are so lost! I watch them on the news everyday and just cry with them.

BTW, Texas girl and others, I was in no way denigrating the people of Texas -- some of the most wonderful people I've met. Just that IMO (and I have tons of military life experience) better and faster use could have been made of the troops who are within hours of the city. I was trashing the slow response of the Powers Who Be. Shoot to kill is something I've never actually heard said in a civil situation; HOWEVER, if the person facing you has a gun and S/He is going to shoot to kill, then what are ya gonna do? I sincerely wish it wouldn't come to that, and believe me, any soldiers/sailors/airmen I know certainly wouldn't. I simply believe that if our so-called leaders had responded faster, perhaps it wouldn't have come to this.

For example, has anyone ever heard of a duck? There are fleets of them for tourism use in Florida, Arkansas, and Wisconsin, and the ones even in Wisconsin could have been there by now, the ones in Arkansas and Florida within 48 hours. Whoever owns these "odd ducks", Shame On You.

I fear that our American social fabric is going to feel repurcussions on this one for many years. I'm glad I enjoyed New Orleans when I did, because I don't think it will ever be the same again. How sad, a true loss that will not be fixed any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom