"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Where's the Rain?

I saw where PA Baker said it is also dry in PA. This is normally mud season here in Ohio. It is bone dry. I can not ever remember this happening before. It usually is a real challange to get in the first cutting of hay because of the rain. No problem this year, got a beautiful first cutting. We are afraid it may be the last cutting this year. I can remember it not raining between the first and second, or the second and third cuttings of hay. But I can not remember it being so dry for the first cutting. We did have a lot of moisture this winter, up until about one month ago. We have received 2/10ths of one inch of rain in the past month. Because of the adequate moisture prior to this last month, our spring is producing enough water that I can water the transplants in the garden, and the 24 blue spruce babies, to keep them alive. But there is no rain in the forecast.

Any one else having an unusually dry Spring?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

In an odd twist of fate, we're rather damp here, and it's all been recently. We were like you, and had a rather dry Spring, until about three weeks ago. Then, one of those "Omega blocking patterns" formed in the atmosphere, and we had storm after storm for a week. We are now above our normal rainfall amount so far this year, but, we got about 3 - 4 inches of it in 4 days. Instead of soaking into the ground, most of it just ran off the surface into the creeks and streams. As a result, all the area lakes are above "normal pool" according to the Corps. of Engineers. That's going to make a bit of a damper on this weekend's excursions.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'm in notheast Ohio just west of Cleveland. We have rain in the forecast for tomorrow. It was supposed to rain Wednesday but it skipped us. It is rather dry. They say we're under rainfall average by 2 inches. But I'm not complaining cause when we get hit we get slammed.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Our rain is coming tonight for three days then dry Monday an Tuesday then rain again for three more days !!
Iam 20 mins. N. of Toledo !
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Dry at my house. Has been a dry spring! A quick little shower on Wed. didn't even settle the dust! Hold on however. When it starts it will last for days. Then we will all be begging for it to stop

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Executive Chef

From what I heard on the news, our area is suffering from the 50 year drought.

The first few years I lived here, I could set my watch when it rained in the afternoon. It would start about 3pm and last for 15-20 min. We sure miss that.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Head Chef

bethzaring: It has been very dry here in Illinois and yesterday it was extremely windy all day. They predicted maybe a shower but nothing more. Last night it started raining and rain is in the forecast all day and tomorrow. It came in with a cold front. Maybe it will hit your area soon.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Senior Cook

It has been crazy here in Lubbock. We average about 4in of rain from Jan-May. So far this year we have recorded 13in of rain. The cotton farmers love the rain but the cool temps have kept them from sowing the cotton seed. The ground temp has to be 60 degrees.

It has rained the past two nights here not a lot but just slow soaking rain
and it really helps the wild flowers and lawns.

later
Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Fireworks are legal in GA but it would be ridiculous to light them over Memorial Day weekend. Geez, SE Georgia is on fire and the smoke reaches all the way up here.

We certainly don't need any accidents with fire at this time since every tree could be kindling. In fact, I think I could light my grass on fire since it's so dry.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Half Baked's mention of the 50 year drought got me to thinking of a monthly report we used to get in the mail from the State of Ohio, division of water. It was discontinued many years ago due to budget cuts, but I looked online to see if it was still in action. It is, apparantly they just stopped the mailings. Well Ohio is divided into 10 districts and my district has the lowest water level for ground water. I can't wait for May's report. At the end of April we are listed as being in an "incipient drought". And it has not rained much since then.

Generally I am an optimisitc person. But living through two droughts as a farmer, has changed me. I still do rain dances, but I no longer "hope" for rain. I have been dissapointed too many times .