"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #81
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
See, how hard was that?
Says the professional chef

Seriously though, this has got to be one of the most inexpensive ingredients that can be used in so many different ways. It can be used in savory as well as sweet. It can be used as a main ingredient or a supporting ingredient. It can be used as a thickener. The possibilities are endless.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #82
Senior Cook

No disrespect, but look:

"Pumpkin and Oatmeal Gnocchi
Ricotta and Oatmeal Gnocchi"

Both oatmeal gnocchi's, just variations, technically one dish.

"Oatmeal and Apricot Crusted Lamb Chops
Oatmeal and Parmesan Crusted <insert fish of choice here>
Oatmeal and Cepe Crusted Pork Chops
Oatmeal and Horseradish Crusted Salmon"

All four are different meats crusted with oatmeal, which frankly, doesn't sound spectacular, but they are, once again technically the same dish, just variations on meat choices. I had said this was one thing you could use the oatmeal for, a breading/crusting.

"Oatmeal Blini with Braised Pork Belly
Crispy Bocconcino - Mozzarella breaded in Oatmeal Breadcrumbs
<insert salad here> with Oatmeal Croutons
Roasted Pork Loin with Stuffed with Oatmeal, Dried Fruit, and Proscuitto"

Basically, the oatmeal is being added to other good sounding meals as a means to use it in a dish. IMO, grits would go way better with the pork dishes. Oatmeal crutons sound like a bad idea and I wouldn't use it as a stuffing either, but that just my .02¢. I'm sure there's someone somewhere that would like those. The only thing I would make out of rolled oats would be oatmeal and granola.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #83
Head Chef

I think the point is to try and use oats more imaginatively! I don't think you can say two types of gnocchi are the one dish....thats kind of like saying there are only two things to eat in Italy, pasta and pizza.

I am still, as a spectator expecting a great variety of imaginative food. IC has got me licking my lips, and oats are something I already love. I look forward to a mulitude of ideas from people that will expand my own repetoire.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #84
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
thats kind of like saying there are only two things to eat in Italy, pasta and pizza.
There's more than two things to eat in Italy! DARN! When was y'all gonna tell me?!?!?!?!

LOL!!

I didn't mean, they were the same dish, just variations on the same dish. I can take 7 recipes and find a way to mush some rolled oats into them, doesn't mean anything.

Basically, I'm staying out of this one cause I really don't get the oats thing. For me, oats are either breakfast in the form of oat meal, or a snack/pick-me-up in the form of a granola bar or granola crunch.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #85
Executive Chef

GW, love your idea of a Virtual Golden Chef. Hope we will be seeing more of same, thanks to your idea. The main ingredient has already been decided upon, and it's two days before contest ends.

Re the Judging, couple of ideas/thoughts/suggestions - how about...

The point system reflect catagories broken down, to vote/judge, so members will know what the dish is being rated on (rather than creative writing), perhaps open a poll on this site for all members to vote. A few guidelines for judging voting (some of which you already mentioned):

Use of the Main ingredient in the recipe

Creativity

Presentation (would have to rely on pic)

Amount the dish recipe cost to prepare - staying w/i the guidlines of monies spent/allowed

Prep Time/Easy to prepare/a dish you would prepare for your family etc.

I haven't fine tuned the judging catagories, but sure you could find a sample on the web, and would like to see the judging opened up to everyone in this forum. The honor system, speaks for itself - no waivers or creative writing. GW - this is your 'baby', and by all means, you call the shots - ingredients, rules, etc. Looking forward to the submissions from the good cooks here. Hey, it's Feb 13. Can we see all or some of the submissions prior to the cut-off date of Feb 15? Seems to me, folks are still debating the ingredient two days before the contest is judged. TIA
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #86
Executive Chef

Clutch, judging by your posts, you're just making excuses, excuses, and more excuses to hide your lack of creativity. If you're not going to contribute constructively, or even read the entire thread to find out what's going on, don't bother posting.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #87
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Clutch, judging by your posts, you're just making excuses, excuses, and more excuses to hide your lack of creativity. If you're not going to contribute constructively, or even read the entire thread to find out what's going on, don't bother posting.
Wow. Did I strike a nerve? I am entitled to my opinion, one which I gave you on the matter at hand. I said, I cannot think of something good enough to make involving rolled oats so I will stay out of the compitition. Maybe if you would read the whole thing before jumping to conclusions you would realize that. I am in no way making excuses. As for lack of creativity, I can throw together a handful of dishes including rolled oats

I even went as for as to say that they sounded good, but as someone who really doesn't have a taste for oats, I wouldn't like them.

Have fun with your dishes.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #88
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
GW, love your idea of a Virtual Golden Chef. Hope we will be seeing more of same, thanks to your idea. The main ingredient has already been decided upon, and it's two days before contest ends.

Re the Judging, couple of ideas/thoughts/suggestions - how about...

The point system reflect catagories broken down, to vote/judge, so members will know what the dish is being rated on (rather than creative writing), perhaps open a poll on this site for all members to vote. A few guidelines for judging voting (some of which you already mentioned):

Use of the Main ingredient in the recipe

Creativity

Presentation (would have to rely on pic)

Amount the dish recipe cost to prepare - staying w/i the guidlines of monies spent/allowed

Prep Time/Easy to prepare/a dish you would prepare for your family etc.

I haven't fine tuned the judging catagories, but sure you could find a sample on the web, and would like to see the judging opened up to everyone in this forum. The honor system, speaks for itself - no waivers or creative writing. GW - this is your 'baby', and by all means, you call the shots - ingredients, rules, etc. Looking forward to the submissions from the good cooks here. Hey, it's Feb 13. Can we see all or some of the submissions prior to the cut-off date of Feb 15? Seems to me, folks are still debating the ingredient two days before the contest is judged. TIA
Mish; The cut-off date for entering the competition is Feb. 15. The final date for subitting the work is March 3rd. I failed to specify when the judging will take place. And, anyone who wants to participate in judging is welcome. They just need to specify that they want to in the poll.

I like the idea of limiting the number of judges to keep the score tallying simple. If a hundred people judged, then it would become more difficult for the judges to get together and tally the scores. And I 'm not sure how they are going to do that as it is. I would think that those who agreed to judge would post their individual tallies on the thread, and then, when all were posted, one of them would add it all up to determine the winner.

Adding up the scores would simply be a matter of adding the scores for each category, then deviding by the number of judges. Then, the overall scores for each participant could be determined.

Anyone else with other ideas, feel free to share them. And for a judging date, I'm going to say, a week from the final submission date, which in this contest is March 10. If that's Ok with everyone, then I look forward to seeing the results on that evening.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #89
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Adding up the scores would simply be a matter of adding the scores for each category, then deviding by the number of judges. Then, the overall scores for each participant could be determined.

Anyone else with other ideas, feel free to share them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Just to clarify the above, I think that judging will be best achieved by having the judges submit their scores to the chairperson. That way, everything is centralized and streamlined.

High efficiency, baby!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #90
Master Chef

I now have a main course, 2 sides, and a desert figured out. I hope everyone else is prepairing as well. I.C., I'm commin' atcha.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote