"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Wholesome 1950's TV programs you might not've seen

I grew up in the 1970's to early 1990's, so I have never heard of The Real McCoys.

I think all the episodes are available on YouTube. It was originally on from 1957 to 1963. We watched 5 episodes last night via our Google Chromecast.

This was one of them and is pretty cute:

Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Sous Chef

LOL! I don't need to click the link.

Most of us here are old enough to remember that "Granpappy Amos and the girls and the boys are the family known as the Real McCoys".

Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

One of the good things about You Tube tv shows is if you look at the side-bars, they often begat more shows. Another thing is if you are watching a show, titled S1 E4 (season 1, episode 4) and the side bar skips to E 6 or 7, you can c/p S1 E4, in the title bar, change the 4 to a 5, and if it exists on You tube, you can watch the next episode without missing any.

I still like the old Lone ranger series. And the George Burns/ Gracie Allen show cracks me up every time I watch.

Here's one I liked too. Beulah, 1950-52. First sit-com with African American lead roles. Very stereotyped characters. I would not suggest racist undertones, so much as Classist. This show changed every lead actors each season.
The primary reason I liked this show is How Often do you get to see Ethel Waters (non singing role), or Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen outside of Gone with the wind.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Head Chef

I am not getting older.

I'm getting better.

At least that's what I've been told.

Don't believe everything you hear.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

Same here, Z! I like to think that, anyway...

I loved those older shows, and still watch some of them if I happen to see them on. Lucy, The Real McCoys, Bewitched, Andy Griffith, I Dream of Jeannie, on and on.... Good TV watching there. I guess we're moving on into the '60 with those, though.

Just as a side, I've seen every single Little House on the Prairie over and over again, and still watch it on a lazy afternoon. Even later, and I don't know if it qualifies as 'wholesome', but I think my favorite series EVER was 'Northern Exposure'. I LOVED that show, and was disappointed when it ended - although by then many of the original characters weren't on any more and it had changed.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Northern Exposure was a fun show. It had lots of weird, lovable characters.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Loved Northern Exposure. Mom and I would have to discuss each episode long-distance.

Enjoyed many other shows of the '60s, '70s, and '80s.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Same here, Z! I like to think that, anyway...

I loved those older shows, and still watch some of them if I happen to see them on. Lucy, The Real McCoys, Bewitched, Andy Griffith, I Dream of Jeannie, on and on.... Good TV watching there. I guess we're moving on into the '60 with those, though.

Just as a side, I've seen every single Little House on the Prairie over and over again, and still watch it on a lazy afternoon. Even later, and I don't know if it qualifies as 'wholesome', but I think my favorite series EVER was 'Northern Exposure'. I LOVED that show, and was disappointed when it ended - although by then many of the original characters weren't on any more and it had changed.
Yeah that was a great show! My dad and I watched every episode. I liked that Canadian blonde woman who was married to the guy who owned the town tavern/bar. She was pretty funny.

And the whole sexual tension between the physician and Maggie -- the bush pilot.

It got kind of goofy towards the end -- with the guy in the bubble house and other stuff.

I also like Little House on the Prairie a lot. Grew up with that, and also Waltons. Emily of New Moon is a good one too. It's about a young girl who's sent to live with her aunts (1 is nice, and 1 is mean) after her father passes away. It's set in the late 1800's in Canada (Prince Edward Island). But it was made in 2000-2002 I think. Sort of like Laura Ingalls Wilder, as it's based on the childhood of its author -- Lucy Montgomery who also wrote the Anne of Green Gables series.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Master Chef

My daughter and I and a friend visited Roslyn, Washington back in the late 90's, where Northern Exposure was filmed. What a quaint, lovely, tiny little town. Somewhere around here I have a picture of my now grown daughter as a 13 year old, standing in front of the moose mural at the Roslyn Café. We had lunch at The Brick, where Holling and Shelly worked in the series. The interior shots of The Brick were filmed in a sound stage in another town, but it was lots of fun visiting the tiny town where one of my favorite series was filmed.

How did I miss 'Emily of New Moon'...? I've never heard of it. Will have to check it out on youtube. :-)
Old 02-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #10
Cook

I have heard this name from my grandpa. Never thought about this much familiarity of this show. Just have done some web search and found this one deserved one watch. I will definitely download all episodes from you tube.