"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
Head Chef

Here's an idea of what's out here (in So CA). I'm not in like w it, out of my price range, & I'll bet they dropped the price, because homes have been sitting on the market for months.

Asking price $8,500,000

Old 04-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That is a great thing to do! It is an excellent habit to get into. If you can do the same thing when you buy your house then you will be in great shape. Well maybe not double, but anything extra is great. We have always paid more than our mortgage payment each month. It really adds up.
thanx.

I try to keep up and earn credit. i learned the hard way. I watched someone very close to me make a bad financial choice and drove the family into debt. It took over 20 years for them to get out. So i have become very tight with my money.

the elevation difference from my house (4400) to suncrest is 3000 feet. 15 feet of snow up there in the winter.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Here's an idea of what's out here (in So CA). I'm not in like w it, out of my price range, & I'll bet they dropped the price, because homes have been sitting on the market for months.

Asking price $8,500,000

i like, but i tend to like the Victorian style more. im attracted to old school midevil style stuff
Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Oh man, Amy! We have houses like that here too, but they run in the 1 million or so dollar range. And that's in a very exclusive part of town. You can still purchase a very similar home in a less "hot" area of town for $500,000. The ones that hit the 2 mil + generally have a lot of land, too.

I know salaries are higher there to meet with cost of living but are they that much higher?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Oh man, Amy! We have houses like that here too, but they run in the 1 million or so dollar range. And that's in a very exclusive part of town. You can still purchase a very similar home in a less "hot" area of town for $500,000. The ones that hit the 2 mil + generally have a lot of land, too.

I know salaries are higher there to meet with cost of living but are they that much higher?

Gawd, FM. Everything is high here. A 1 BR condo was inching up to about $1/2 million 2 years ago. Now they're $299. I'm sick to my tummy. Waitin for a realtor, who hasn't called me back since last night. I need a Xanax, lol.

My friend's daughter owns a house, & ranch in Malibu. Their fridge is probably the size of my L.R.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Again, it is all perspective. I know people who grew up with 12 people living in one room. Multiple people would share a bed. Those people could just as easily look at you and say that you do not need a multi room house with a bedroom and bed for every person.
That is true and as westerners on a global level we all over consume. I absolutley do not need nearly as much as I have and my efforts at limiting irresponsible consumtion often fall short.

The flipside of your argument however is that anybody should be able to do whatever they want with thier money no matter what the implications for the rest of society just because they can afford it. Society necessarily draws a line where it distinguishes between personal freedom of choice and the common good (ie fishing/hunting regulations) . In my opinion much new construction, in partiular that of luxury homes, begins to cross this line.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Amy, I know it's all relative but it still boggles my mind. I remember a girlfriend who lives in CA bought a house the same time I bought this one (~23 years ago). She was telling me on the phone that she paid about 300,000 for it and it was a pretty good deal. I was blown away at that figure because I got a very good deal on my house at the time and still paid half of what she paid. Then she sent pics and I was blown away!!! Hers was a very small 3/1 ranch - what we'd call a starter home here. And her mortgage was more than twice what mine was!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Amy, I know it's all relative but it still boggles my mind. I remember a girlfriend who lives in CA bought a house the same time I bought this one (~23 years ago). She was telling me on the phone that she paid about 300,000 for it and it was a pretty good deal. I was blown away at that figure because I got a very good deal on my house at the time and still paid half of what she paid. Then she sent pics and I was blown away!!! Hers was a very small 3/1 ranch - what we'd call a starter home here. And her mortgage was more than twice what mine was!

At that price, you get a 1 BR condo cracker box here. Boggles my mind as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

What they say about location, location, location sure is true. My daughter was living in a townhouse apartment about 90% identical to one I was living in a few years ago. Hers was in Vista, California and was in a big complex. Mine was in South Carolina and was sitting on about an acre with 3 other apartments (our 4 apartments were in 2 duplexes). I was paying $385 a month and Nancy was paying about $1,000. Right now we live in a long/wide single-wide mobile home, but it is sitting on a hair over an acre of land. We paid $33,000. We will pay it off soon, then when James finds a good job we want to build a house on our property.

As far as big or small houses go, in addition to what we can afford, it really just depends on what is important to us. We all have something we are willing to spend more on. For some it is a house, for some a car, for some it is jewelry, for some it is charity work, etc.

Barbara
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #30
Executive Chef

What do THEY say?, "When the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the middle-class shrinks the result is the death of a free society." Scary stuff