"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #51
Senior Cook

Hi taxlady:) To be honest I have tried cooking Indian food at home but find it hard to taste authentic, maybe its about the cooking utensils or not quite the right ingredients because they are hard to find here in Russia but I must admit I see that post yesterday and can get all those ingredients and I'm going to the market now and going to give it a shot and will let you know the outcome:)

Old 02-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
Hi taxlady:) To be honest I have tried cooking Indian food at home but find it hard to taste authentic, maybe its about the cooking utensils or not quite the right ingredients because they are hard to find here in Russia but I must admit I see that post yesterday and can get all those ingredients and I'm going to the market now and going to give it a shot and will let you know the outcome:)
Do let us know how it goes. I have had mixed luck trying to make authentic tasting Indian food, but it has always (well almost always) turned out tasty

I'll be trying that lady's recipe when I feel better.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do let us know how it goes. I have had mixed luck trying to make authentic tasting Indian food, but it has always (well almost always) turned out tasty

I will for sure and just got back from the local market with all the ingredients:) I think your right, it's hard to have a bad tasting Indian!:)

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I will for sure and just got back from the local market with all the ingredients:) I think your right, it's hard to have a bad tasting Indian!:)

I hope you feel better soon!
Teddy Bear will argue with you on that one. I am part Indian and Teddy Bear loves to lick my hands all the time. That puppy thinks I taste good. But he still hates my singing.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #55
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Teddy Bear will argue with you on that one. I am part Indian and Teddy Bear loves to lick my hands all the time. That puppy thinks I taste good. But he still hates my singing.
Well I'm sure he loves your cooking;) I should of said hard to have a bad tasting Indian meal

All the ingredients are out on the table and I so need to buy a camera because I love taking food photos and even before it's cooked it looks tasty
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #56
Master Chef

Doritos
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well I'm sure he loves your cooking;) I should of said hard to have a bad tasting Indian meal
Indeed he does. Specially my Yankee Pot roast. He has even eaten the carrots and potatoes. I fixed plate for me and he had such a sorrowful look on his face, I fixed plate just like mine and he cleaned it right up. He would have eaten more but I don't like to over feed him.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise & Candian Bacon

It is 13.00 hours in Madrid, and it is Sunday Brunch hour ... Have not had Eggs Benedict for quite sometime with a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa ... M.C.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It makes you wonder if they're just messing with us. I've never been to Thailand but in discussing it with Thai waiters and waitresses I've asked how spicy native Thai food is, and I've been told Americans often order it more spicy than traditional cuisine. I have no way of knowing if this is true.

I've also been told that chopsticks are not generally used in modern Thailand, that they supply them mainly as a concession to gringo Americans such as me. I'm pretty sure chopsticks are still often used in modern China and Japan.
My husband actually was assigned to Thailand and said they rarely use chopsticks.

As far as heat goes, I've known many Thai women and they just loved to burn the skin off the tongue and roof of your mouth. When we eat at Thai restaurants, we just order it "Thai hot", however you would eat it. It's pretty hot.

I wish people wouldn't use spicy and hot as synonyms. Cinnamon rolls are spicy. Apple sauce cake is spicy. Hot peppers are just plain old HOT!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #60
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I did it - Chicken tikka masala (dopiaza)

I'm just so happy and so so shocked!! I have tried so many times to make Indian taste like the restaurant curry back home which I love and miss so much with living here in Russia but thanks to you guys here and titlis busy kitchen I managed to make today Chicken Tikka Masala(Dopiaza) :)

It tastes absolutely gourgeous and it was just such a pleasure making it from getting the ingredients from the market to reading all the recipes here and finally cooking it and now I'm so chuffed! Ok, I better calm down and go and dish up another portion:) I get a little passionate about cooking, sorry folks

I hope this also enspires others to try her recipes.