Word or Words of the Day and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ke·loid (also cheloid) (n)
/ˈkē loid'/

A red, raised formation of fibrous scar tissue caused by excessive tissue repair in response to trauma or surgical incision.
[French kéloïde : Greek kh
emacr.gif
l
emacr.gif
, claw + French -oïde, resembling (from Greek -oeid
emacr.gif
s; see -oid).]
ke·loid
prime.gif
al
(-loid
prime.gif
l) adj.

I learned a new word today from CWS4322 in the pork chop thread!

abattoir
ab·at·toir
A slaughterhouse.

A few more words like that and I might pay $12.00 for a pork chop!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:
What a great word, abattoir, abattoir, abattoir!!!
Sounds so much nicer than a slaughterhouse...

aeolist (n)

1. (obs) (rare) A pompous person who pretends to have inspiration or spiritual insight.

(Jonathan Swift is credited with first using this term in English literature in 1704 in Tale of a Tub: "The learned Aeolists maintain the original cause of all things to be wind.").

The irony is that an aeolist pretends to have inspiration. If one researches the etymology of inspiration > Old French inspiracion "inhaling, breathing in; inspiration,"> Late Latin inspirationem noun of action from past participle stem of Latin inspirare "inspire, inflame, blow into." Therefore, an aeolist really is full of wind.

I did a search on the 'Net for Aeolist, and there are actually companies that have chosen that for their names...Not sure that is such a great brand name...And, s/one used it on FB as his/her screen name (now, that might tell you that person tends to go on and on and might not be s/one to "friend"). I love researching obsolete words or words that have undergone a shift in definition from the time they entered the English language (handsome and handy).

ob·fus·cate

/ˈäbfəˌskāt/
Verb

• Render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
  • Bewilder (someone).

Synonyms
darken - obscure - confuse - cloud - dim - becloud

I love this thread. Having taken Latin in HS, I can see the origin of some of the words. Who needs Readers Digest? :angel:

I thought it was interesting! There is actually an enzyme with the name Dracula...cool for Vampire hunters:rolleyes:

When you first look at the word, you just know it has to do with Dracula. Dacrulin

I love this thread. Learning a lot. Now if I can just find a time to use some of these words. Although Plethora is a favorite of mine to use. I just have to get to a cocktail party so I can throw some of them around. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom