Word or Words of the Day and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would it also apply to those late in life with *ahem* "issues"? I sure as heck see enough ads for those things on TV.

As in...We enter our second diaperhood, some want to know at what age this happens and all I can say is, "It Depends...."

quaff (v)

/kwäf, kwaf/

1. To drink something quickly or thirstily.
2.to drink a beverage, especially an intoxicating one, copiously and with hearty enjoyment.

(noun)
3. an act or instance of quaffing.
4. a beverage quaffed.

Etymology:
For quach, fr. Gael. & Ir. cuach, a drinking cup; cf. L. caucus, a drinking vessel. Cf. Quaigh
Possibly 16th Century: perhaps of imitative origin; compare Middle Low German quassen to eat or drink excessively.

onomatopoeia

from onomatopoeia - Wiktionary

Noun

onomatopoeia (countable and uncountable; plural onomatopoeias or onomatopoeiae)

1. (uncountable) The property of a word of sounding like what it represents.  [quotations ▼]
  2. (countable) A word that sounds like what it represents, such as "gurgle" or "hiss".
  3. (uncountable, rhetoric) The use of language whose sound imitates that which it names.
I think my all time favourite onomatopoetic word is a word I heard on a vacation in Israel. It's the Ivrit (modern Hebrew) word for fly (the insect). It's pronounced "zvuv". I Googled and found the Hebrew spelling:
זְבוּב

doyenne
noun [C usually singular] /dɔɪˈen/ /dwaɪˈen/

Definition
› the oldest, most experienced, and often most respected woman involved in a particular type of work.

I don't know about the "respected" part, but I certainly am the doyenne of goofing off. :LOL:

queen·fish (n)

queenfish (n)

[kween-fish]
plural queen·fish·es ( especially collectively ) queen·fish.

A silvery and bluish drum, Seriphus politus, inhabiting shallow waters along the coast of California.

Etymology:
1880–85, Americanism; queen + fish

Oh, good grief. Does anyone know how I can print this entire line? I have a blind friend who is very interested in etymology (as I am) and finding new words is one way we entertain ourselves when I spend time with her.

Another is words we just like the sound.

Oh, good grief. Does anyone know how I can print this entire line? I have a blind friend who is very interested in etymology (as I am) and finding new words is one way we entertain ourselves when I spend time with her.

Another is words we just like the sound.

Copy and paste onto a blank word document. Then print out. :angel:

My two favorite words just for the sound are actually French (I note that is mentioned earlier). Parapluie and pomplemousse (probably both misspelled), umbrella and grapefruit. I just like the way they sound. My blind friend and I can spend hours discussing what language a word is derived from (OK, bad grammar).

My two favorite words just for the sound are actually French (I note that is mentioned earlier). Parapluie and pomplemousse (probably both misspelled), umbrella and grapefruit. I just like the way they sound. My blind friend and I can spend hours discussing what language a word is derived from (OK, bad grammar).

I remember them both from French class, love the sound of parapluie!

Go up to the blue line just below the first "Post Reply" button. Click "Thread Tools", then click, "Show Printable Version". The control P to print it.

Back
Top Bottom