Worse Than A Puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
My kitten has a really bad habit of licking me every time he gets near me. He's worse than my dog!! I have never seen or had a cat that's obsessed with licking people. Anyone else have this problem with their cats or know how I can get him to stop? It's really bad if I'm trying to take a nap, he gets on my shoulder & starts licking my neck, face, or ears!!:rolleyes:

My older black and white tomcat has always licked a lot. Problem is that most times after a few licks, he decides to give a "love bite." Not too bad unless he gets you when you aren't paying much attention.

Yeah, my cat does the same thing. He'll lick me at random all the time.
He does it alot when he's taking a nap, and he doesn't stop for like 5 minutes.

We are owned by several indoor cats as well as a few outdoor ones. One of our indoor ones, Miss Augie, can be relentless when it comes to licking. She usually goes for our elbows. She doesn't do it all the time. Seems to go in phases. We just try to ignore her. That doesn't always work, but we just understand that she'll move on to another annoying phase. If she weren't so cute/beautiful, we wouldn't put up with her goofy behavior.:)

Licking and love bites--yep. And since I do know where that tongue has been :sick: I make sure they never lick my mouth or eyes (I had one that always wanted to lick my eyelids!). My husband asked why cats like to lick us and I told him that they don't think we smell right (we don't smell like cats) so they want to lick us clean until we smell right. LOL I'm sure they are going for the salt or oils on our skin.

:) Barbara

I had a kitten I took in when its mother could not nurse. I stayed up around the clock and fed it with an eye dropper. When he was finished nursing and was old enough to eat real food he still thought I was his mom and would knead me everytime he could - This was a pain as he would wake me up all night long!!!!

My Toy Poodle Jolie licks me all the time and when I want her to stop I hit her nose. It usually does the trick and maybe that might be a way for you to go.

Have a great day.

Reanie, my rescue kitten used to use my ear lobe as a pacifier. When I was not available, he used his little paw. Never knew another "thumbsucking" cat like that little one.

crewsk said:
My kitten has a really bad habit of licking me every time he gets near me. He's worse than my dog!! I have never seen or had a cat that's obsessed with licking people. Anyone else have this problem with their cats or know how I can get him to stop? It's really bad if I'm trying to take a nap, he gets on my shoulder & starts licking my neck, face, or ears!!:rolleyes:

My cat doesn't lick too bad, but my youngest daughter used to.:ROFLMAO: She'd come right up out of nowhere and lick the side of your face, or bite you on the shoulder. And this was in her teen years. I thinks she's grown out of that "I can get away with being a pain in the neck 'cause I'm cute" stage. In any case, she now lives in Tacoma and is driving her brother crazy instead of me.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

mudbug said:
Reanie, my rescue kitten used to use my ear lobe as a pacifier. When I was not available, he used his little paw. Never knew another "thumbsucking" cat like that little one.
My mom and dad and I had a couple cats (from the same litter) who had been taken from their mother just a little too early. Their cat tried to suck on my dad's ear or my mom's mole on her neck. My cat sucked on his own paw. It was soggy all the time! He did it his whole life. The funny thing is, I also had a girl from that litter. She didn't seem to have the security issue the boys did!

:) Barbara

Goodweed, no comment on that one :ermm:

Crewsk, your kitten loves you! Granted their little tongues are like sand paper and not very pleasant for people in most cases, but she/he is just showing affection. When she licks you just move her over and pet her, that should comfort her/him. I am more of a dog person, and hate when my dog licks me, uggghh I hate it! I prefer the hugs and cuddles. Who knows where his mouth has been, mostly sniffing other dogs poo, etc. :sick:

I've never had a cat who was a licker. Once in a blue moon, all of my cats have given me a lick or two, but not regularly. Even my dog, when you ask him for a kiss, he will come up and turn his cheek toward you so you can kiss HIM. He learned that all by himself and I'm just as happy as can be about it. I'm not real fond of the way dogs like to lick as much as they do either. I'm not completely creeped out by it, but I'd just as soon not have them lick too much. Thinking of where people have been bugs me more than where animals have been though.

BC

Thanks y'all! It's good to know that my kitten isin't as warpped as I thought he was.:rolleyes: I don't mind a lick every now & then but he's a little excessive with it. Every time I move him away to pet him he turns in circles trying to get to my hand to lick it. He even holds the dog down & licks his head or ears (thank goodness he doesn't go lower than that:LOL: ).

My parents last cat was a licker. She was forever licking Dad, especially his head. He had sparse hair when they got the cat, but went completely bald on top after a few months of her tender loving care. It was forever shiny afterwards. She was a purebreed Burmese who had Dad wrapped around her little claw, and heaven forbid you got between her and her daddy. This is/was the only cat I knew that could throw a full blown temper tantrum when she didn't get her way, and when my brother's ex-wife's kids were around she would hide under the bed and grumble/growl the whole time until they left. She also tolerated Mom because Mom helped to feed her when Dad wasn't around, and she also seemed to tolerate the males of the house, I always ended up with a shredded hand/arm if I attempted/tried to pet her (the beast! especially when Mom got her I let her use my cat's potty and eat my cat's food). Another of her favorite things to do was to eat Dad's socks. He never had a good pair of socks due to her eating them all the time. Same goes for the bath mat, she would drag it under the bed and they would wake up in the middle of the night wondering what was making that grinding sound, she was chewing up the bathmat. Mom also used to have a good (expensive) wool blanket, but after Shemakha got through with it, it looked as if it had been eaten by moths. Crazy cat! She lived to a ripe old age of 19 though, and had a good life. Dad misses her licking his bald spot a lot.

mudbug said:

OH MUD! My husband found a tiny little kitten under a bush at his office - he brought it home and was on the couch with it all morning - he called me in there and said PLEASE take this cat - my ear is raw. The poor little kitten had been nursing on his hear for almost 3 hours and it was kind of raw looking! lol

One cat that recently died always bit and pulled my hair on top of my head - especially when it was still wet. It hurt like heck too! I've never had a "licker" though. I've had a biter - bit me right in my armpit out of a sound sleep - but my husband's eyelid, and I actually watched and tried not to crack up when I saw he was going to bite his rear - he got him good too! lol

Cats like lotion crewsk. If you use a particular lotion on your face or hands that might be it. Cats are attracted to weird smells. We have had cats that will mug you if you have been in a pickle jar. (Something about the brine makes them mental.) We also had a cat who loved anything mentholated, so any Tiger Balm or anything would have him going nuts to lick you. One of the cats we have now just likes plain old sweat. She will hold you down and bite you if you try to escape her before she is done licking you clean. Ugh. Cats is weird!

mugsy27 said:
at least someone is still lickin ya after you cut your hair!! :LOL:

:-p I won't touch that one with a 10 foot pole!!:ohmy:

Alix, I've thought about the lotion thing. I use diffrent kinds of lotion through out the day so maybe he likes the mixture of them all. He also tends to try & lick my face more when I'm wearing makeup.

Elf, last night I was sitting on the couch & had just changed in to my PJ's & he came over, started licking my shirt, & bit me in a very sensitive spot on my chest.:ohmy: I yelpped like crazy & hubby just about rolled on the floor laughing.:glare:

Back
Top Bottom