You think we pay too much for gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB, love your feedback and mostly agree with you. And yet, I still stick by what I said. Please don’t think I would ever put conserving gas above the safety of my children or anyone else’s, for that matter. I’m not talking about this being an either/or situation, though. The age and abilities of the child, the busyness of the streets involved, how safe the area is – naturally, all of these are factors that must be considered when making the decision to let your child walk or bike to school or anywhere.

As for grocery shopping, I was more thinking about those trips where only a few items are needed. No one could convince me to walk to the store on my big grocery shopping day! But I should walk or bike to the store on the day after when it occurs to me that I forgot to purchase the loaf of bread and can of tomatoes.

Yes, there are people who carpool and ride buses or commuter trains. Nevertheless, I still believe that many more could but don’t due to the perceived inconvenience

I still contend that there are plenty of opportunities for kids and adults alike to walk instead of drive; however, driving is the most common choice.

Let me clarify that I am only talking about those situations where one is within walking distance to the school, store or whatever. Obviously, there are those who live too far away to walk anywhere but to their mail box! No problem! Not referring to you. Whew! I feel better. I love discussions!!

Wow! This thread really took off!

I'd be happy walking places but we live at least 5 miles from a scketchy gas station. Bellingham is 25 miles. We were pushed out of living in town due to high real estate prices, we couldn't afford it. Now we can't afford to live out here because of gas prices. Catch 22

Fortunately I dont have to drive long distances so if our gas was $7 per gallon it wouldnt affect me much. One thing I have done is figure out what I need to do for the day so that I dont make multiple trips to the same area of town. I filled my car up today and it cost me $20, but it used to cost me only $10. Yesterday our gas was $2.99, and today it actually went down to $2.93....so cheap :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Gas prices are certainly high, but they represent a contract, not a mandate. Consumers engage in an agreement with a gas company to buy gasoline at a certain price that is acceptable. And gasoline companies sell their product at a price that is agreeable to the consumer. Of course, we're all mumbling and grumbling about the horrendously high prices, but we continue to purchase gasoline at our normal rates, or many of us are at any rate. We're in many ways free not to purchase their product. I understand this puts many people in dire straits, but there have been bigger, grander and more important political and economic shake ups in our brief history. Buying a bus pass and dealing with the inconvenience is obnoxious, but its a small price to pay to afford superior living conditions.

When gas prices are high enough, and when the price becomes unacceptable to consumers, we'll turn to public transportation, bicycles and energy efficient cars. But that will only be when the aforementioned contract is considered unacceptable by the buying end.

hmmmm why don't they use the corn... seems pretty logical to me.I seen the special on 60 minutes, its kinda a back up plan in case we ever run out of"gas" any one else see this special???

Kim,

While corn (ethanol) is getting a lot of media "play" these days, it isn't the answer that everyone is trying to make it out to be.

It can help tremendously, but it does have some issues of it's own.

The main problem is that unless they can refine the distillation process, it almost always takes more thermal energy to distill the alcohol than it will return. I'm sure that a means to make it more econmically viable can be found, it may just take some time. There's been tremendous progress in fuel ethanol in the last few years though, so there is some hope.

The E85 blend currently on the market, ironically given it's name, yields roughly 15% LESS energy per gallon than gasoline does. And currently, because of the demand for ethanol for summer fuel blends, costs almost as much! (Good for farmers, bad for drivers! :ROFLMAO: )

John

John

GarrettB said:
We're in many ways free not to purchase their product. I understand this puts many people in dire straits
Well sure no one is sticking a gun to our heads and making us purchase gas, but like you said it will put many of us in dire straights if we do not, so I do not really agree that we are free to not purchase gas.

I have an hour commute into the office and an hour commute home. There is no way around this. My wife and I work at the same office so we ride together when we can, but this is not always feasible. Our parents are our day care and they live 30-45 minutes from both our house and our office so that is another added amount of time to our daily commutes. We certainly could not bike to any of these places. There are no trains or busses that can get us there either. If I want to keep my job and make money then I have no choice, but to pay whatever the gas station is charging.

Filled up my Galant for about thirty dollars the other day. My Parisian friend turns to me and says "Hey, good deal!".

"What?!"

"That'd cost about $75 where I come from"

Quite the international perspective.

Last edited:
GarrettB said:
...Quite the international perspective.

...and they pay a lot less for Bordeaux and Burgundy wines that we do. Prices in other countries are irrelevant to what's currently happening in this country.

Andy M. said:
Prices in other countries are irrelevant to what's currently happening in this country.

Of course they're relevant. If not for reasons like globalization, integrated markets, global competition, comparative consumer awareness et. al then the price of gasoline in another country can at least make me feel a bit better about $3.00 per gallon, which will sway my vote and keep me from rioting in the street.

Seems pretty significant to me.

So, as long as you're paying less than someone else, you feel good about?

A good portion of the price of gasoline in European countries is taxes. Their taxes are a lot higher than ours, making comparisons meaningless.

What's important is whether gas in this country is fairly priced, not how it compares to the prices in other countries.

I think it sucks, but I try not to think about it and get rilled up, I've come to the conclusion that I HAVE to buy gas for whatever the price is, and there is nothing you or me can do about it. The more i think about it the madder i get, so i simply try to forget it. I think paying almost a hundred dollars a month for cable TV is rediculous, but i do it. Gas is something that is mandatory for the most part. If gas goes to $5 we are STILL going to buy it because we have no choice.

ronjohn55 said:
Kim,

While corn (ethanol) is getting a lot of media "play" these days, it isn't the answer that everyone is trying to make it out to be.

It can help tremendously, but it does have some issues of it's own.

The main problem is that unless they can refine the distillation process, it almost always takes more thermal energy to distill the alcohol than it will return. I'm sure that a means to make it more econmically viable can be found, it may just take some time. There's been tremendous progress in fuel ethanol in the last few years though, so there is some hope.

The E85 blend currently on the market, ironically given it's name, yields roughly 15% LESS energy per gallon than gasoline does. And currently, because of the demand for ethanol for summer fuel blends, costs almost as much! (Good for farmers, bad for drivers! :ROFLMAO: )

John

John

THERE it is! Haven't read completely through all the threads, but am so glad you brought this up, John! This is where we need to be putting our energy, resources and talent, in developing a usable alternative to oil and gas - for so many reasons beyond just our pocketbooks! I wish all the energy the media is paying on the OMG shock and awe of pump prices, and the heavy profits of the oil companies, would go into more reporting about sustainable alternatives energy sources.

marmalady said:
THERE it is! Haven't read completely through all the threads, but am so glad you brought this up, John! This is where we need to be putting our energy, resources and talent, in developing a usable alternative to oil and gas - for so many reasons beyond just our pocketbooks! I wish all the energy the media is paying on the OMG shock and awe of pump prices, and the heavy profits of the oil companies, would go into more reporting about sustainable alternatives energy sources.

There was just a program a few weeks ago on Discovery or something, about how Brazil has been using - I think - sugar cane for years and years as fuel. And the byproducts from the distilling are then turned around and used as energy in the distilling plants themselves. Lots of camera shots of major city streets, pointing out the size of the cars compared to lots of ours.

marmalady said:
There was just a program a few weeks ago on Discovery or something, about how Brazil has been using - I think - sugar cane for years and years as fuel. And the byproducts from the distilling are then turned around and used as energy in the distilling plants themselves. Lots of camera shots of major city streets, pointing out the size of the cars compared to lots of ours.

Yep, anything that has sugars that yeast can ferment can produce alcohol, they've even managed to find ways to ferment sugars from inedible grasses so that it won't cut into the food supply, it's just that it's still a fairly ineffecient process (although the fact that it's renewable makes it a fair trade). It get's fermented into alcohol, then distilled (and since it isn't for human consumption, the focus can be on yield, not taste/drinkability:angel: ).

John

Back
Top Bottom