"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Master Chef
My dentist got so mad at me from my last visit as I kept trying to close my mouth and he had to get into a small space to work......I wasn't even aware of it.......he actually had to leave the room and go and work on another patient he was so frustrated with me closing my mouth......... I had a sore jaw for 2 days afterwards from trying to concentrate on keeping my mouth opened. Then when I went back a few days ago and told him that I had TMJ syndrome (temporal manibular jaw)he was far more understanding. Though it was written in my records. Oh, well, it's all over and my dental problem is finally corrected.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
It's really unfortunate that the hygienists aren't as skilled as the dentists. I've had 3 different dentists in my life, and I really think the key might be to just keep trying new offices until you find a great one. Mine happens to be exceptional, very skilled hygienists and the dentist himself is a huge proponent of using and implementing the newest and best dental technologies. I swear every time I go in he's got a way to make the process quicker, less uncomfortable, and higher-quality. He's in Schererville, IN, and even though I've been in Bloomington for school for the past 5-ish years, I still drive the 200 miles twice a year to see him.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
Head Chef
Its ok guys, how about looking at the optimistic view of my profession.

We are responsible for fixing and keeping your mouths in perfect working condition to allow you to eat all the wonderful things you learned to make here at the DC forum

Sure it comes at a price, but im sure all your wonderful meals are worth it
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Put me down as another who hates going to the dentist. The dentist and hygenist are both really good, but I have such a strong gag reflex that I'm usually almost sick when I come out. We have new insurance this year so there is no telling what will be paid or not to a dentist.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
My last experience with a dentist was about ten years ago. I was in pain for a week after, and all I had gone for was a cleaning. Right now, I've had a bad toothache for approximately 3 wks and will not go to the dentist. One reason being that I don't have insurance, but it's mostly because of the last dentist visit.
In order to change the world, one must first start with one's self.
Gossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
I don't hate dentist, but it bugs me that I've had one for 7 years my insurance covered everything except 25$ now that I lost my job and had to switch to Hubbys insurance I have to pay 80% of everything so now I won't be going.
The one thing I don't understand is if you go to dr and dentist that excepts your insurance(should except all insurance) they will except what the insurance pays as payment in full ( which is considerabley less) And if you don't hve any insurance they wont take anything less then what they are charging you. I think the insurance companies should pay the full amout also or switch it and those who do not have insurance should get discounts.
mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Sorry, LEFSE, that you had an uncomfortable experience. I've been fortunate the last 30+ years. My dentists/their staff have all been awesome when it comes to my comfort. Even when I had to have several root canals, I really didn't have much pain.

My first dentist was a female, who later became a good friend, and our current dentist is wonderful and also a friend. Maybe it's the "friend" thing that makes it work.
let's see, do they take new patients?lucky you.....................I'm envious, why do they not care about a patients comfort is my question?
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
We found the best dentists, a husband and wife team about 12 years ago.He pulled my impacted wisdom teeth under local in about 45 minutes. No pain either during or after.They have done many things to out mouths and they are great.Have generally had great caring dentists.
AuntDot, I don't see where you live? how'm I supposed to make an apt?
And Larry, I don't notice you offering to help this poor girls mouth out either. I'm waiting for an offer pleaseFYI, I have access to NY..........
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #18
Master Chef
My dentist is good but I still don't particularly like people mucking around in my mouth. My big complaint is the cost. Most insurance companies dont pay that much of the bill and at one point I was stuck with nearly $1000 of dental bills for my family even with insurance! I've had the same dentist for about 25 years now.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
Sous Chef
Yes, I detest them.
I hate the way my dentist taps on my front teeth with his instrument for no apparent reason whenever he is finished doing anything.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #20
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Ahhhh, so this is what my patients say behind my back ;)
my dentist of yesteryear and I got to be very good friends. he never hurt me but every time I'd go into his office for work to be done, I'd tell him I hated him. he put up with it for years, knowing it was silliness and nerves speaking. one day he said, "you know what? that hurts my feelings. every day people walk into my office and say, I hate you. how would you feel if eveyone in every single day walked up to you and told you that hated you?" gad, I felt awful and apologized.
Larry, if I come to you, will you change my mind about dentists?
How necessary is it for them not to care that they continually hurt you?
I had braces. Not that bad. I've had root canals that were a piece of cake, like the last one, 6 minutes and root out. What gives? Gad, if it's not in a person to have compassion, why are they in the business? And why do they hire folks that couldn't care less about being rough? aRgggggh

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote