"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to chicky
I like to give Gift Cards to the teenagers in my family, These day's it's hard to keep up with what they like. I'd rather see them get something they wanted and will use. For the smaller kids we usually buy something we know they will enjoy. Babies are easy to please a new doll or a soft blanket works just fine. I personally like Gift Cards they save alot of time and everyone ends up with what they wanted

Old 11-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I think we should all do gift certificates/cards. Think how much we'd mess up the stores that are expecting the influx of us. hehe

Anyway, personally, I would very much appreciate a gift certificate or gift card, especially from a grocery store.

My son and daughter-in-law gave me a gift certificate to a book store. Best thing I ever got, I'm a book nut. Love to buy cookbooks.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #23
Traveling Welcome Wagon

A year or so ago we got an anonymous gift certificate (we are sure it was someone from our church) for our electric company, good for one month's electricity.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
A year or so ago we got an anonymous gift certificate (we are sure it was someone from our church) for our electric company, good for one month's electricity.
WOW!!!! Now I would love those type of certificates!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!! A certificate for oil would be nice too. :-)
Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to chicky
It would be nice to a have Gift Certificate that would make my car payment!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #26
Master Chef

These are great if they are given with the recipient in mind. In other words, don't give gift cards or certificates to a shop or service that the person you're buying for would never frequent. I saw a thing on CNN that many gift cards are never used. So don't give a gift card to a place that YOU love. It is only a great gift if it is for something the person you are giving it to loves.

For example, if someone was to give me a gift certificate for a day at a spa, pedicure, manicure, massage, etc, I'd scream. I don't like that ... but my husband would love it.

On the other hand if someone gave me one for my local gourmet spice, food, or similar shops, I'd be thrilled.

In other words, as with most gifts, give something that has meaning for the recipient, not what you want them to be, or what you are.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #27
Master Chef

I like giving and receiving gifts where some thought has gone into personal tastes. So for us gift cards to favorite stores (Barnes & Nobles comes to mind) are great as well as cards for restaurants, kitchen shops, services, etc. Just be sure you check to see if there is an expiration date, however. I learned the hard way and missed out on a manicure at a favorite salon because it had expired.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #28
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
These are great if they are given with the recipient in mind. In other words, don't give gift cards or certificates to a shop or service that the person you're buying for would never frequent. I saw a thing on CNN that many gift cards are never used. So don't give a gift card to a place that YOU love. It is only a great gift if it is for something the person you are giving it to loves.

For example, if someone was to give me a gift certificate for a day at a spa, pedicure, manicure, massage, etc, I'd scream. I don't like that ... but my husband would love it.

On the other hand if someone gave me one for my local gourmet spice, food, or similar shops, I'd be thrilled.

In other words, as with most gifts, give something that has meaning for the recipient, not what you want them to be, or what you are.
I agree completely. I love looking for the perfect gift for each person, and sometimes the perfect gift is a gift certificate. My (soon to be ex) son-in-law always preferred gift cards to WalMart so he could pick out his own fishing lures and gear. I know if someone wanted to buy me a purse I would prefer a gift certificate because I am very picky about what kind of purse I get.

Barbara
Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Love 'em!!! Receiving and giving. When I give one it's for a difficult to buy for person, but I get a gift card for a store or restaurant that I know that they love. When I get one it's guilt free shopping.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I don' t like to receive gift cards. (no presents period would do better).

I don' t like giving them to people. i think they are not personal (kinda saying well I don't know much about u so i got u something u could figure out and I didn't have to put much effort into) , unless its for a very specific store which I know they will make good use of, but they know whats better to buy for them. eg I know my sister is into art stuff etc so I got her a voucher at an expensive art shop.

Meanwhile if i get a gift voucher i will probably use it 1 day before it expires
at a shop I don't normally go to. I prefer people just didn't waste their money on me. Just not a present fan.

Some people just love them completely!! Each to their own!!