"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

The "Thanks" is an easy fix and there is a better way. Put a real time "Thanks" button on each post.
The thanks PM is silly and looses the spirit of thanking. A quick click on "Thanks" should appear immediately at the bottom of the recipients post.

In other words. Do it like all the other forums out there. And if anyone gets there heart broken because others are getting more thanks, they have problems that cannot be solved on DC.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Go to this page for information on how the site works: Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Post #10 describes how you can change the settings in your account, including turning off email notifications.

Sending a thank-you message sometimes starts a private message dialog between the two people.
Thanks GG, maybe some day I will learn my way around this site.

Old habits are hard to break, they say

Old 01-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
The "Thanks" is an easy fix and there is a better way. Put a real time "Thanks" button on each post.
The thanks PM is silly and looses the spirit of thanking. A quick click on "Thanks" should appear immediately at the bottom of the recipients post.

In other words. Do it like all the other forums out there. And if anyone gets there heart broken because others are getting more thanks, they have problems that cannot be solved on DC.

I agree with this 100%. I think I remember suggesting something like this a few years back.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

There used to be some sort of "likes" system of points or accounting. I think it was taken away when certain people didn't feel appreciated enough, and others got a lot of recognition that the administration at the time didn't approve of.
Just a guess on the latter, but I wish there was a simple like button, with no accounting of it.
But it's always me that ends up getting wet
Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You aren't the only one with log in issues, Kayelle. Looks like members are breaking through the wall one by one.

I checked my PM box. Looked like the PM I was sending went through in spite of the repeated "unable to process request" screens I saw. Every one of them went through...all four. Sorry, dawg!
I wondered what that was all about! Looks like it should be up and running now, I hope!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

BT I just sent you thanks. It seemed to work.

We tried to get the THANKS process to a simple button at the bottom of each post. We were refused.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
Thanks GG, maybe some day I will learn my way around this site.

Old habits are hard to break, they say
What's wrong with this way?
Old 01-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've been going crazy for hours not being able to get into DC. Finally I'm back and hope it's fixed. Ykies!!!

It was sure a puzzle, since SC had no problem we thought the problem was with my computer. I was starting to think I'd been banned from Discuss Cooking.
By the way, I like how the "thanks" deal works here. It's true that it can lead to a personal comment and that's a good thing.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Somewhere around here are several threads discussing "Thanks" vs "Like" buttons. I remember that the reason things won't change was the web guys and gals couldn't just slip in a command. Instead, it would involve rewriting a lot of the system to enact that change. The saying goes "time is money"...and we ain't the ones paying that money. :wink"

I actually prefer our Thanks button. Sometimes a Thanks is just a Thanks. But as GG mentioned, it can be a way to start a private conversation, too. So much quicker than having to go to your control panel to get into Messages format. JMO...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...when I have signed on and have to leave the computer for a short spell to take care of other issues, when I come back to DC, I have to sign in again...
That is a regular feature at many sites. If the site doesn't detect activity for a preset amount of time, it will automatically log you out.