"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Why is it one can post a picture from another site, for instance frank's knife picture in his tailgating thread, and not make mention of where it is originally from, but you cannot post the written word including the link where you found it?
That just doesn't make sense.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Why is it one can post a picture from another site, for instance frank's knife picture in his tailgating thread, and not make mention of where it is originally from, but you cannot post the written word including the link where you found it?
That just doesn't make sense.
When you take a photo, just like when you write something, you automatically hold the copyright to that image. So it is a copyright violation to post a picture from any source, unless you took it or have permission from the copyright holder. People often think that because something is on the Internet, that makes it public domain and available for any use, but that's not so.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When you take a photo, just like when you write something, you automatically hold the copyright to that image. So it is a copyright violation to post a picture from any source, unless you took it or have permission from the copyright holder. People often think that because something is on the Internet, that makes it public domain and available for any use, but that's not so.
So you're saying posting a pic from another source is every bit as illegal as posting a recipe or quoting information. That's what I thought. Looks like the mods would have to remove half the pictures posted here showing a wok from Amazon or the knife with the funky fruit I mentioned
I'm in the section that thinks that if it's on the Internet it's there for the taking as long as the source is linked, be it picture or word. Like a footnote. It's just common sense. And after all you are linking it back to the source, so there is recognition.

I doubt very many original owners are pursuing this though.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So you're saying posting a pic from another source is every bit as illegal as posting a recipe or quoting information. That's what I thought. Looks like the mods would have to remove half the pictures posted here showing a wok from Amazon or the knife with the funky fruit I mentioned
I'm in the section that thinks that if it's on the Internet it's there for the taking as long as the source is linked, be it picture or word. Like a footnote. It's just common sense. And after all you are linking it back to the source, so there is recognition.

I doubt very many original owners are pursuing this though.
A lot of the pix are actually links to the photo.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
People cannot publish someone else's recipe, period. This applies even to unpublished works. I can cite USCO links tomorrow if anybody doubts this.
Just nit-picking here but if I quoted a recipe from Joe Bloggs' latest book, for sweet and sour earthworms with lime vinaigrette, wouldn't JB have to prove beyond doubt that it was his invention in the first place in order to bring a copyright case? Many recipes have their origins lost in the mists of time and many recipe methods involve well-known cooking techniques.

I've mentioned the activities of a certain lady cookery writer whose middle name should be "Plagiarise", elsewhere on DC, and I have seen several British and American chefs on television and in print, claiming to have invented the method of cooking a whole salmon to serve cold which has passed down our family from my Great Grandmother, who was born in the 1860s, and which first appeared in print in the 1700s. The first case doesn't seem to bother anyone and in the second case both Meg Dodds, who wrote the 18thC book, and my GGM are not in a position to sue.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Just nit-picking here but if I quoted a recipe from Joe Bloggs' latest book, for sweet and sour earthworms with lime vinaigrette, wouldn't JB have to prove beyond doubt that it was his invention in the first place in order to bring a copyright case? Many recipes have their origins lost in the mists of time and many recipe methods involve well-known cooking techniques...
If it's published in a book, it's copyrighted. The author can sue you for publishing without permission. If it's not his original work, it's up to the real owner of the recipe to deal with the author and prove it's plagiarized. They that person can come after you.

Most copyrighted recipes employ well-known cooking techniques. It's not the technique that's copyrighted, it's how the author employs it with the ingredients he empoys.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

And, in U.S. copyright law, the copyright expires after a certain number of years, depending on when a work was originally created (the number of years has changed over time). After x number of years, it is deemed to be in the public domain. It would be useful to review Steve's link to the U.S. Copyright Office for the details.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
And, in U.S. copyright law, the copyright expires after a certain number of years, depending on when a work was originally created (the number of years has changed over time). After x number of years, it is deemed to be in the public domain. It would be useful to review Steve's link to the U.S. Copyright Office for the details.
Novels remain copywrited for x numbers of years after the author has died with monies going to their estate. Executors of the estate can also renew the copywrite for another number of years or buy the rights to the canon of work. It's been thirteen years since I was embroiled in this aspect, so the number of years may have changed.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oops, I misremembered. Greg was talking about copyright, not Steve, and he didn't post a link to the U.S. Copyright Office. So here's a link to the FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions about Copyright
Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two booklets that I have had for years. The first one is Better Homes and Gardens Our Own Favorite RECIPES. It was published in 1978. In the intro it states: "cheese blintzes direct from the family kitchen in Brooklyn, where they have been served for forty years without the recipe's ever having been consigned to paper. There are other recipes from the kitchens of farms in Maine.

The second booklet is from The Old Farmers' Almanac and is called Colonial Cookbook. This was published in 1982. It states in several of the recipes that the recipe came from the Wampanoag Indian Tribe and a lot of them came over with the Pilgrims. One of the recipes in this booklet is called "Molasses Pie." When you read it, it is now called Pecan Pie. The only difference is this recipe used molasses and today's Pecan Pie uses Dark Karo Syrup. The directions for cooking Moose are hilarious. But I can't share it with you because it is now copyrighted. And the same for the BHG recipes. What I don't understand is some of these recipes are a couple of hundred years old. And some of them came from a tribe that at the time didn't have a written word.

How about some stuffed calves ears? The ears are from a moose calf. How do you copyright wild veggies such as Jack In The Pulpit, wild carrots, onions, etc.? The recipe tells you to dig these up, but be careful as the wild carrots and The Pulpit have poisonous parts. There are also recipes written in the Olde English with the "f" as an "s". Makes for difficult reading.

I don't understand how recipes that have never been written down and come from the inside of someone's head can be copyrighted.

Closed Thread

Tags
recipe