"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 AM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post

In a nutshell, unless you are posting recipes directly out of a newly published cookbook, posting "secret" recipes from a restaurant, bashing another chef in any way, claiming other's recipes as your own - you are probably in the clear.
This is a very dangerous statement to make. Websites like our have been sued and have lost. Damages can be in the 6 figure range. I doubt anyone here would want to take the chance of loosing a $100,000 lawsuit to post a recipe that they could have just posted a link to.

As for giving credit, that is an excellent way to instantly lose the lawsuit. When you give credit you are basically saying the recipe is not yours and this is who you took it from. That is all a judge would need to see to give you the loss.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I stand corrected. Copyright is a whole other can of worms.

Quote:
As for giving credit, that is an excellent way to instantly lose the lawsuit. When you give credit you are basically saying the recipe is not yours and this is who you took it from. That is all a judge would need to see to give you the loss.
What a world where this is true.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #33
Master Chef

i am sorry to but this thread is getting ridiculous!!

the admins HAVE stated the LAW over and over. they DIDN'T make the law to cause people problems they only follow it!!

badgering or arguing with this sites admin WON'T change the LAW!! they just don't have that power!! so reread what they have posted as the law as many times as it takes to sink in and lets move on!!

so much food to cook, to little time to be wasting on this nonsense!!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I was not badgering or trying to argue with the site's admins...or anyone else for that matter.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

[quote=Jeni78;838400]I stand corrected. Copyright is a whole other can of worms.

Quote:
As for giving credit, that is an excellent way to instantly lose the lawsuit. When you give credit you are basically saying the recipe is not yours and this is who you took it from. That is all a judge would need to see to give you the loss./QUOTE]

What a world where this is true.
Jeni, you see this as a bad thing but it's about the money, not anything else.

A chef or whomever works hard to develop a recipe. It's prepared many times with changes in ingredients and/or process so it's exactly what that person wants. Repeat that process a hundred times and there is enough material for a cookbook. Finally, a chance to get some money for all the hard work.

But wait! Someone is putting all the recipes on the internet for free so no one is buying the cookbook. The author and publisher are not looking for credit, they are trying to sell books to make money. It's how they pay the bills.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #36
Everymom

I don't feel badgered, nor do the others I think. Thanks for the defense though. This thread is actually very informative and I think a lot of people might get some clarity from it.

Keep in mind too everyone that this is not just a US forum. This is an INTERNATIONAL forum. Most folks are familiar with the law in the US, but other countries might have other laws as well. For the safety of all our members and our owner we are trying to keep things simple and safe.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Jeni - I didn't think you were trying to argue with us at all, nor did GB. This is a discussion on copyright laws that will hopefully answer questions for other people too. It's so often misinterpreted. This isn't about "us" anyway...it's about some laws we have no control over. We simply have to follow them.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #38
Everymom

Ooo, Jeni, I meant to mention that I understand you were initially talking about artistic ideas and someone basically stealing ideas at first right? And now you understand we are talking about copyright only?It really IS a different kettle of fish entirely isn't it?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

Nope I did not see it as arguing. This is the single most confusing thing on the site. The mods and admins have spend months and months discussing this with a lawyer and only understand it as well as we do, wich is just the basics. Hopefully this thread helps clear some things up.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #40
Master Chef

just to clear things up. my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular it was a general statement. sort of like the use of "you" as a PLURAL to include a large amount of people!!

it wasn't meant for any ONE person. and didn't want to hurt anyones feelings. but some of the posts do sound like arguing to me.

ok i understand the rules (i sincerely hope i do or i will reread them till i do!!) so now i will unsubscribe from this thread and butt out.