Avocado Lovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this fruit gets a bad rap with it's high fat content but it's actually so good for you!

It's one of my all time favourites and it's so darn tasty! :yum:

Are there any avocado lovers on DC?

My favourite way is just cut in half, sprinkled with lemon or lime juice and some flaked or coarse salt.

I also enjoy it mashed with a dash of vinegar, salt and cracked black pepper. Served on toasted bread with lashings of real butter!

Mashed avocado is great between 2 slices of buttered toast with a fried or poached egg and some relish or salsa. (A little bit of crispy bacon won't hurt either ;))

How do you enjoy this humble fruit?
Any way they come. I love avocados (especially the Hass ones).

Yes they do have a lot of fat but most of it is good fat of the sort that lowers "bad" cholesterol and raises "good" cholesterol and they are bursting with vitamins. I was once told that they use them for weaning babies.

I tend to think that the goodness in them outweighs the calories and I defy Slimming World rules and make an advocado a "free" food.

Last edited:
Mad Cook, do you find it as irritating as I do, that the supermarkets sell either rock hard avocadoes (which are expensive enough), or charge a premium for so-called "ripe" ones?

Mad Cook, do you find it as irritating as I do, that the supermarkets sell either rock hard avocadoes (which are expensive enough), or charge a premium for so-called "ripe" ones?

Hmm. We have the same problem here in the States. So hard to find a good one. Best place in the world for avocados IMHO is Mexico. We went to one grocer there where the avos were bigger than my head! Smooth skin, huge, no wonder guacamole is so cheap there!

Hmm. We have the same problem here in the States. So hard to find a good one. Best place in the world for avocados IMHO is Mexico. We went to one grocer there where the avos were bigger than my head! Smooth skin, huge, no wonder guacamole is so cheap there!

Now that I am surprised about DL. I thought you would have an abundance of properly ripe, lovely Avocado in the US!

On the very rare occasions I get a gorgeous Avocado, I have been known to just cut it in half, twist it and get in there with a spoon! :pig: (I usually manage to fill the other half with prawns and Marie Rose sauce before scoffing that too...) :blush:

Now that I am surprised about DL. I thought you would have an abundance of properly ripe, lovely Avocado in the US!

On the very rare occasions I get a gorgeous Avocado, I have been known to just cut it in half, twist it and get in there with a spoon! :pig: (I usually manage to fill the other half with prawns and Marie Rose sauce before scoffing that too...) :blush:

We do the same here, Katy! And I was introduced to prawns in avocado eons ago by a friend on our first foray to London! I think we ate them every day we saw them on a menu.....

Our Florida and California friends probably also have better access to good avos.

We do the same here, Katy! And I was introduced to prawns in avocado eons ago by a friend on our first foray to London! I think we ate them every day we saw them on a menu.....

Our Florida and California friends probably also have better access to good avos.

Avocado and prawns is a marriage made in heaven. :wub:

Very retro I know, but why change something that works so well? :)

:yum:

I recall a tomato mayo based dressing on them too.

Well, I may just have to go back to London sometime to find the exact recipe.

Well, if you mix mayo, tomato puree, lemon juice, a tiny bit of Paprika (or if you like some heat - some Cayenne), S&P, with a small amount of cream.... you should have the perfect sauce to coat your lovely prawns and pay due attention to your creamy avocado.... :pig:

Well, if you mix mayo, tomato puree, lemon juice, a tiny bit of Paprika (or if you like some heat - some Cayenne), S&P, with a small amount of cream.... you should have the perfect sauce to coat your lovely prawns and pay due attention to your creamy avocado.... :pig:

Hmm. Katy, that may be it! Thanks!

Still won't keep me from visiting London again. How's the snorkeling there? Oh, that's right, never mind. The Thames isn't known for that.

Last edited:
No. :(

It softened. But it did nothing to improve the flavour.

Avocadoes are very delicate. :unsure:

Bummer. OK, apparently we can freeze prepared guacamole. Costco does it all the time. I did not know this until I saw it here. And apparently it keeps well. I did not know that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom