"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywaltz View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I have been dealing with power outage due to Irene... finally gave in and drove an hour to my parent's house for hot water and electricity after 14 hours without electric.

LMAO... I will send them to Banana finishing school!.. or I can use them as condom demonstrators (I'm in the health field.. mainly HIV.. so I tend to think that way!) :)

Thanks for the ideas on freezing them. I have frozen strawberries... so does one peel the banana prior to freezing? I would think I would peel them and cut them and ziplock it and freeze it?

I don't like banana bread :) I work too much as is, I barely have time to cook dinner :)

So how does one make banana chips? I'm asian and they sell them allt he time in asian markets.. and recently american markets...
You make them like This

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #32
Master Chef

I'm trying to figure out if I've already said this. Those green bags do help. I've actually put a half of an apple or half of a banana in one and had them stay white for a day (not together! Bananas and apples will make each other ripen faster! Go straight to brown!). But some times I just want a half and the green bags do slow down the process (also lettuce and cabbage will last longer before "rusting"). This is a real help if you're a one or two person household.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #33
Sous Chef

So if I want my bananas to ripen faster so I can make bread I should put them in a bag with an apple? Lol.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I seldom buy banana's because they seem to have just a one day time span where I will eat them. They need to be at that precise day that they are fit for eating...if they have gone to the next day, and have any of those little spots on them that my mother lovingly called "sugar spots"........they are spoiled in my opinion. Ick.
My mother called bananas with brown spots "candied". Yuck. My sister liked them. My DH thinks I eat unripe 'nanners. We get about three days of 'nanner eating out of a bunch. The rest get left out until really ripe and then frozen for 'nanner bread.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #35
Executive Chef

This is one reason I drink smoothies. I rarely have a problem with over ripe fruit. They can go in the blender long after they become over ripe. Even better because they get very sweet. I have eaten or drank 3 or 4 bananas at a time. Usually about 10 a week around here
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
This is one reason I drink smoothies. I rarely have a problem with over ripe fruit. They can go in the blender long after they become over ripe. Even better because they get very sweet. I have eaten or drank 3 or 4 bananas at a time. Usually about 10 a week around here
Love those smoothies myself. A good place for the overripe fruit!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
So if I want my bananas to ripen faster so I can make bread I should put them in a bag with an apple? Lol.
Yes.

It's also good when the bananas want to go from green to that weird greyish yellow that is inedible. It's the ethylene gas that the apples produce. Some other fruits produce it too.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Just a note of interrest folks. When you freeze bananas, the skin will turn black and the flesh inside is perfectly fit to eat.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just a note of interrest folks. When you freeze bananas, the skin will turn black and the flesh inside is perfectly fit to eat.
One problem here is that they go in the freezer with the best of intentions, but they never come out.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Not if you let them get very ripe first. They will be perfect for banana bread, but not for eating. Liquid separates from the flesh and they are kinda gross. For banana bread, reduce that liquid and measure the bananas by volume. Intense banana flavour.

Tags
bananas, other