"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
Head Chef

Smell is key with mangoes. Mangoes are heavenly just by themselves. There is no need to come up with recipes to use them. They are a little treat by themselves.

You can cut them up and then suck on the pit (to ensure every bit of the goodness is savoured).

There are three things I consistently make with mangoes - A mango lassi (you mix fresh mangoes with plain yogurt and some ice and water along with sugar and blend it). I also like to make a mango milkshake (same way just substitute milk in place of yogurt).

Finally nothing like a creamy mango icecream. Puree the mangoes for the icecream along with some heavy cream, condensed milk and fold in a large container of cool whip. Place in an air tight container and freeze.

We make pickles with mangoes too but most of those recipes use raw mangoes (the green ones) which are super tart but super delectable.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Any suggestions for quick things to do with it (I also bought a ton of blueberries and I think they'd look gorgeous together in something!)?
Mangos + Blueberries...

Salad - Baby spinach leaves, sliced Mangos, Blueberries, toasted walnuts or almonds, Asian dressing -- Add in slices of rotisserie chicken, grilled salmon or shrimp.

Trifle - A layer of mangos, sponge cake, vanilla pudding, etc - next layers alternate with blueberries.

Angel food cake - Slice in 3 layers, alternate with berries, mangos and whipped cream.

Mango/Blueberry shortcakes with whipped cream.

For the blueberries OR mangos (separately), I posted a recipe for Strawberry cheesecake in a martini glass. You could sub with M or B.

For the blueberries - I posted a recipe for blueberry filled Stars (using puff pastry).

PA, btw, what topping/crust did you decide on for the cheesecake you made a while back?

Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

one of my favourite oddball combos is cubes of mango and papaya, topped with teryaki marinated grilled squid. the mild sweetness of the mango goes well with the salty/sweet teryaki.
if you don't like squid, the same might work with chicken, or other seafood i guess.

another fave, a dessert this time, is sliced mango served with sticky rice, topped with sweetened coconut mlik.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
another fave, a dessert this time, is sliced mango served with sticky rice, topped with sweetened coconut mlik.
That is sooo good, BT. Do you have a recipe you make and could share? TIA.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

mish, sorry, no recipe.
i've been thinking about looking up a good recipe for sweetened coconut milk for the sauce, and trying again to make it at home.
i usually just order it at a local thai place.
otherwise, it's just sliced mango alongside sticky (jasmine?) rice, topped with the sauce.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
mish, sorry, no recipe.
i've been thinking about looking up a good recipe for sweetened coconut milk for the sauce, and trying again to make it at home.
i usually just order it at a local thai place.
otherwise, it's just sliced mango alongside sticky (jasmine?) rice, topped with the sauce.
Thanks BT. I've also only had it at a Thai restaurant (if I recall). Hmmm, maybe someone will see the post and share the recipe. Usually I keep coconut milk on hand - the light version in a can. I'd love some Thai coconut ice cream (with the corn) to go with.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish

PA, btw, what topping/crust did you decide on for the cheesecake you made a while back?
Boy, Mish do you have a good memory! I ended up making one with a brownie crust and a layer of caramel between the crust & cheesecake. new resipe, it was so-so.

Thanks for sll the good ideas here!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Are you sure your not talking about a Mangosteen, I think they have a few seeds in them, but our Mangoes dont, Mangoes just have one BIG seed in the middle, you have to cut around it, and get all the flesh off, I hope this may help. Look up on the net to see if you really have a mango, or if it is something else.

Tags
None