"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I am not scared of smelly things. I like some pretty stinky cheeses. Fruits are among my favorite foods, so a smelly fruit (even with durians reputation) will not scare me away!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Head Chef

I have tried a lot of these fruits. Some others that are exotic in my books are:

Custard or Sugar Apple - Pictures of Fruit, Custard apple, Cherimoya, Custard apple fruit, Cherimoya fruit, Green, One u10652178 - Search Stock Photos, Images, Photographs, and Photo Clip Art - u10652178.jpg
Looks similar to an artichoke, not quite but the creamy pulp makes the best icecreams and milkshakes. It's truly like eating a custard.

Alphonso Mangoes - These are the best mangoes in the world. They are only found in India (they are starting to export them and they sell them in the summer at Indian stores for like 5 bucks a peice) and are super expensive, they have no strings and the sweetness and perfume cannot be matched by any mango. Alphonso Mangoes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Chickoo or Sapodilla or Sapota - Brown, Sweet and great in milkshakes and icecreams.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Yakuta, ever since I first heard of the Alphonso mango I have been on a hard target search for one, but have had no luck yet. I am at the point where I am ready to book a trip to India just to try one (and I am only half joking).
Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Gee, where do you guys find all of those things. Here in Minnesotas I haven't seen at least half of them. I tried only few from the list. Only three to be exact. And actually one of them was canned.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Charlie, do you have a Trader Joes? If you do, check out their dried fruit section. they have quite a few of the ones on the list there. It is different than eating them fresh, but it will at least give you an idea what they are like. My daughter loves the dried rambutan and I enjoy letting her have that instead of cookies or some other junk that is no good for her.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #16
Senior Cook

durian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am not scared of smelly things. I like some pretty stinky cheeses. Fruits are among my favorite foods, so a smelly fruit (even with durians reputation) will not scare me away!
I am glad...i wish i could be as adventurous as you...have a good time eating durian
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #17
Head Chef

Most of my ' finds' are in specialty markets , like Indian, Asian, or Spanish markets.

Anytime I go to any city, I try to make my way into these area's, hoping to find something new. Even when Im on vacation, if im near a city and have the time, Ill stray into some ethnic neighborhood, hoping to find something unique. I think it was Montreal's Chinatown where I had the rambutan and dragon fruit.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hi GB, actually I definitely have seen them here but only in Indian stores and only for a few months (June/July) and that's it. You have to call to check on it. You live in the northeast and there are lots of Indian so good chances you will get your hands on it.

Charlie - As Larry mentioned your best bet if you don't get out of US a lot is to hit Ethnic markets or stores. Also it's important to know that not all of these fruits are available year round. Some are available in our winter and some in our summer. You just have to pay visits to see what's in season.

I am blessed to have traveled a lot and one of the things I always do when I travel is hit the local markets so I can sample some foods local to that area. Also I was in Dubai a couple of years back and they have something called global village every January/February during the Dubai shopping festival. This village has stalls (clothing, pottery, crystal, spices, nuts, sweets and food including fruits) from various parts of the world. I had so much fun sampling all the different fruits. I think I had most of the south asian fruits in one shot. Also India has an abundance of these fruits and I get to sample them (example dragon fruit) when I stay in hotels there on the breakfast buffet.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Why didn't I think of checking there? Thanks Yakuta. There are two Indian markets within 15 minutes of my house so I will be checking with both of them. Is this something I will probably only find in the summer?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have tried most of them, but for me, I don't prefer to eat those which are imported to the US. Except for Kumquats.

I find that when they are picked so green (as they must be to ship them so far) and treated with whatever they treat them with, they lose all the beautiful flavor (and most of the aroma as well) that they achieve in their natural habitats.

When I eat them on site, they are luscious and refreshing. When I eat them here, I get a stomach ache.

And as for Durian..... well, after having "experienced" it once, you all can have my share each and every time! "Stinky" doesn't begin to describe its odor. I don't really care what it tastes like. the smell is so sickening that it didn't even taste all that good to me.

Tags
exotic fruits