"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The way they describe the preservation, you still will not be able to use the rind. I've done it in a very similar way many times and rind is not usable. You do collect a lot of juice though. In my case preservation was not a goal, but a necessity.
The rind and pith are usually the only part that is useful. The pulp is pretty lacking by the time it's preserved, kind of like the mirepoix after making stock. You can use it if you want, but it doesn't add much. The juice is mostly just salt, and unusable.

I always have a jar in my fridge. It's a common ingredient in Mediterranean and North African food.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #22
Master Chef

I'm glad you asked the question, Kayelle. I have one paper recipe that calls for them that I spirited away, probably never to be found again. Now that I know how very many uses for them, I can't wait for Meyers lemons to be in season again. That's the only time I see them here. At $2.99 for a one-pound bag (about 7 lemons) I find them to be a real deal. When Meyers are available here, regular lemons are going for 2/$1 or 2/89 cents.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just slum it and make a small batch with regular lemons.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Slumming it? No. It's not necessary to use Meyer lemons for this. They don't even have Meyer lemons in Morocco. Any type will work fine.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
CG, the link you left convinced me...wow there are some really impressive recipes there. Guess it's time to pick some lemons.
Well, I'm glad someone convinced you.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, I'm glad someone convinced you.
Aww, you did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm glad you asked the question, Kayelle. I have one paper recipe that calls for them that I spirited away, probably never to be found again. Now that I know how very many uses for them, I can't wait for Meyers lemons to be in season again. That's the only time I see them here. At $2.99 for a one-pound bag (about 7 lemons) I find them to be a real deal. When Meyers are available here, regular lemons are going for 2/$1 or 2/89 cents.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just slum it and make a small batch with regular lemons.
I'm more than thankful to have a Meyer lemon tree. The reason they are so expensive to purchase is they don't ship well with their thin delicate skin.

Since it's only the preserved skin that's used, I see no reason to preserve the whole lemon, nor does the author of that site on the subject. http://mjskitchen.com/2014/02/recipe...served-lemons/
Quote:
Quick Preserved Lemons in less than 24 hours

Instructions

1. Peel the zest off 1 large lemon. Try not to get any of the white pith.
  2. Juice the lemon and set the juice aside.
  3. Cut the zest into narrow strips and place in a glass jar or bowl. Top with 1 tsp. (5 g) salt and the lemon juice.
  4. Stir to dissolve some of the salt. If the juice does not cover the zest, add more lemon juice.
  5. Let sit on the counter for 20 to 24 hours or longer.
  6. After 24 hours, both the zest and the juice are ready for use.
  7. Be careful about adding salt to any dish in which you use preserved lemons. They are pretty salty.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Dang...something sounded like a good idea to me and I posted it and now there are 3 pages of discussion! Who'd have thunk?

I'm gonna make them the way that takes a month. I'll let you know what I think of them in a month. I love cooking with lemon. Most fish must have it. It does wonders for Chicken.

What got me was that the article said that is lemon with umami. I yearn for umami and when a new different way of getting it presents itself I must try it and decide for myself.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Dang...something sounded like a good idea to me and I posted it and now there are 3 pages of discussion! Who'd have thunk?
Well, the site *is* called Discuss Cooking That's what we do
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #28
Master Chef

Sometimes we even stay on topic! :D
Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #29
Master Chef

LizStreithorst, look what you started!

Although I knew about preserved lemons, except for the one recipe I set aside, I hadn't a clue what to do with them. Since the Greek deli near us sells jars at around $6-plus, I wasn't in a hurry to buy them so they could take up space in my fridge. Thanks to your query and the rest of us scurrying around and posting hints, I put up a jar today! Made them from a 1# bag of "Sunkist Baby Lemons". $1.99 for the bag. Thanks for the push, guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-05 17.46.26.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	25121  
Old 08-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

When we get back home Sunday, my batch of preserved lemons I started last month should be ready for testing!

I love this idea to purée some of the preserved lemons, to make it easier to use a little bit at a time. There are more good suggestions in the comments: http://foodinjars.com/2013/01/preser...served-lemons/

This is one of my favorite sites for ideas on preserving all kinds of things. I have two of her books.

Tags
None