What's the Best Fruit You've Ever Eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya'll just screwed up my marketing! I need run to the store for a few things but after reading this, my list looks like this:
grapes
strawberries
cherries
bananas
raspberries
peaches

Oh yeah, now I remember I'm out of milk. But what the heck were the other 5 or 10 things???

I'd have to say our local strawberries and peaches are my favorites.
We have excellent apples here, too. Red and Golden Delicious and Jonathons used to be the favorites, but now growers are trying out new varieties. Unfortunately, we don't have any of them this year. We got a late freeze that got'em all. It also knocked out most of my tulip and Iris blooms.

My first husbands grandmother, who lived on a little farm near Gonzales, La, had a big pear tree in her yard that had the most wonderful fruit! They were large, as big or bigger than a softball, with a short neck, and had a mottled, rusty brown skin. They were so sweet and juicy! I'd love to know what variety they were...It would have to be an heirloom type, as the tree was so old.

I have never tasted fresh mangos or passion fruit, although mangos are available here. I just don't know how to pick one out. I have tasted the Dole canned tropical fruit mixture (try not to laugh), and I really like it.

Mangos, Mangos, Mangos.

Has anyone had the Indian mango? It was not allowed to be imported into the U.S. until this year, Bush just recently lifted the mango embargo. Mangos from India are supposed to be the best, I'm on the lookout for one.

One year we rented a house in St Croix during late August, there was a mango tree in the front yard just full of fruit. It was so wonderful to go out in the yard, gather mangos and then eat them all up - YUM.

:) Any fruit that is ripe to perfection I love them all but it seems to be harder and harder to get a peach,nectarine or apricot that isnt mealley(sp?) and flavorless I hate that but when I get a good one as someone else said the juice running down your chin good, I also love a good ripe pineapple.We sometimes get the Rocky Ford cantalope from Colorado normally I dont like cantalope but these are really wonderful.
There are alot of exotic fruits I have not had the opportunity to try fresh but I would kill to try some fresh passion fruit Ive had it in bakery tortes/cakes and loved it.Love good sweet grapes,cherries,pears etc you name it.

oh, i forgot cherries. my neighbor's yard used to have a fantastic white cherry tree. i'd look forward to their ripening every sprin, as intently as the local birds.
it was interesting that the birds would wait until just a day or two before i thought they were ready, the little thieves. :glare:

my wife grew up in our house, and remembers picking cherries every year throughout her life. sadly, a mc-mansion was built on the property, and despite my pleas with the builders, the tree was murdered via chainsaw to make way for a deck.

another one, although not local is watermelon. is it me, or have watermelons been really delicious the past coupla years?

are there new varieties, like the new varieties of especially sweet corn? or has it just been good weather?

buckytom said:
oh, i forgot cherries. my neighbor's yard used to have a fantastic white cherry tree. i'd look forward to their ripening every sprin, as intently as the local birds.
it was interesting that the birds would wait until just a day or two before i thought they were ready, the little thieves. :glare:

my wife grew up in our house, and remembers picking cherries every year throughout her life. sadly, a mc-mansion was built on the property, and despite my pleas with the builders, the tree was murdered via chainsaw to make way for a deck.

another one, although not local is watermelon. is it me, or have watermelons been really delicious the past coupla years?

are there new varieties, like the new varieties of especially sweet corn? or has it just been good weather?
BC,
you're right about how wonderful the corn and watermelons are this season..I don't question if it's the season or the variety,I just get them and eat:LOL: ..Really tho,new varieties and the weather do account for sweeter,bigger fruit which is wonderful in some cases, but dissapointing in others. I really love strawberries but am not at all fond of these huge hollow trawberris that are being produced..I remember my grandma's berries, sweet, juicy about the size of a quarter and the smell of them, glorious. I'm having such fun teaching my grand kids about fruit and veggies, Carson, Ethan and Olivia all love to go out and raid the tiny orane tomatoe plant..They will pass up M&M's to pick and eat those tiny tomatoes:LOL: And watermelon,you have to hide a slice just to get some and wait til they leave:ROFLMAO: How about your little guy? Does he like fresh fruit too?
kadesma

kads, he loves to raid the garden, and consumes fruit and veggies like a vacuum. i couldn't be more pleased.

it must be so fulfilling to feed a loving brood like yours. :) i love to read your posts about feeding them all.

thank god my raspberries started producing, or i'd be broke just buying pints of the sweet little things. he was downing a pint a day, of raspberries or strawberries. now he shuns the store bought ones.
btw, i agree that recent strawberries have been disappointing. they were good early in the season, but now they're bland. i always go by smell. if you can get a few at room temp, and they smell strong and look nice and red (not too dark), they're good to eat.

it's pretty funny how my son takes pride in taking the other kids in the backyards into our garden. he yanks leaves of basil or lettuce or arrugula with abandon, stuffing them in his mouth to show the other kids that everything is edible. lol, sort of a vegetarian's "willy wonka", if you will.

you had to see them try chervil. or sugar snaps. :chef:

the tomatoes are lucky to make it to fully red before they're devoured, and the other day we had an english cucumber sword fight, followed by everyone eating what was left of the "swords" with some magic fairydust, aka sea salt.
he even eats raw peppers and zucchinis, just to show off. :cool:

lol, i have to remember to plant the jalapenos in a less accesible location next year. i have a good spot set aside for yt's hot peppers, that can't easily be reached.

i don't think they've reached the mint yet, as i haven't weeded the perimeter. that should be fun.

the neighbors are already enjoying our bounty, and have returned the good will with trays of homemade turkish desserts, or homemade macedonian breads and cheeses.

wish you were here.

buckytom said:
kads, he loves to raid the garden, and consumes fruit and veggies like a vacuum. i couldn't be more pleased.

it must be so fulfilling to feed a loving brood like yours. :) i love to read your posts about feeding them all.

thank god my raspberries started producing, or i'd be broke just buying pints of the sweet little things. he was downing a pint a day, of raspberries or strawberries. now he shuns the store bought ones.
btw, i agree that recent strawberries have been disappointing. they were good early in the season, but now they're bland. i always go by smell. if you can get a few at room temp, and they smell strong and look nice and red (not too dark), they're good to eat.

it's pretty funny how my son takes pride in taking the other kids in the backyards into our garden. he yanks leaves of basil or lettuce or arrugula with abandon, stuffing them in his mouth to show the other kids that everything is edible. lol, sort of a vegetarian's "willy wonka", if you will.

you had to see them try chervil. or sugar snaps. :chef:

the tomatoes are lucky to make it to fully red before they're devoured, and the other day we had an english cucumber sword fight, followed by everyone eating what was left of the "swords" with some magic fairydust, aka sea salt.
he even eats raw peppers and zucchinis, just to show off. :cool:

lol, i have to remember to plant the jalapenos in a less accesible location next year. i have a good spot set aside for yt's hot peppers, that can't easily be reached.

i don't think they've reached the mint yet, as i haven't weeded the perimeter. that should be fun.

the neighbors are already enjoying our bounty, and have returned the good will with trays of homemade turkish desserts, or homemade macedonian breads and cheeses.

wish you were here.
I wish I were there tooBucky, I would love mmeting you and your DW and the little one..He sounds like lots of fun and I just love kids, the more the better.
kads

My absolute favorites are apricots.
There are some new (at least to me) mangos around here lately, they call them Champaigne mangos.
Smaller than the regular ones, skin all yellow and very, very nice!

As a boy I worked in the Produce Section

As a 3 year produce worker in high school, i have sampled nearly every fruit there is.

I will break my favs down by section.

Skin: Peaches (*donut peaches especially)

Inside: Orange (blood oranges are Kewl) runner up Banana

Overall: Strawberries/PineApple

Most Interesting: KumQuat

Best Juice: Pomegranate (HANDS DOWN)

Best to Mix in Drink : Starfruit (sweet bitter) + Kiwi (sweet nectar)

Last edited:
I feel so lucky to be living in Thailand, one of the world's biggest exporters of fruit. The fruits here are simply amazing, both in variety and quality. Very cheap too! My favorites are mangosteen, custard apple, mango, and longkong (not sure what it's called in English).

Once my friend, a fruit-lover from Singapore, visited and couldn't help exclaiming that Thailand is a fruit paradise.

ripe comise pears...melt in your mouth beauties! and ripe figs with cheese!!!
(just to add that what has already been said)

Chopstix said:
I feel so lucky to be living in Thailand, one of the world's biggest exporters of fruit. The fruits here are simply amazing, both in variety and quality. Very cheap too! My favorites are mangosteen, custard apple, mango, and longkong (not sure what it's called in English).

Once my friend, a fruit-lover from Singapore, visited and couldn't help exclaiming that Thailand is a fruit paradise.

Might the custard apple be also called a durian?

I love 'em all except melons, cukes, pears (weird I know) and olives. Never had durian so I'm not sure on that. Never had lychees either. Other than that apples, oranges, cherries, grapes, bananas, pineapple, peaches, plums etc... yummy in my tummy.

The new Asian supermarket here in town has amazing fruit. Jackfruit! Holy cow that stuff is amazing!!! They have frozen mangosteens - they look interesting. They do have durian - but I'm chicken. Raspberries, peaches, cherries, blueberries are all favorites. Figs, oh how I love figs!

:)

A ripe, sweet peach is heaven to me. Peach pie, peach cobbler, peach tarts, peach bread pudding, etc....

biljriv said:
I'm looking to broaden my horizon in the world of fruit.quote]

I doubt that this is going to broaden your horizons any, because you've probably eaten them, but fresh, wonderful, juicy, ripe, sweet cherries are my all time favorite fruit.

The golden cherries are an absolute favorite even if the season is so short. I can't remember the name of them but I could eat a bucketful.

Back
Top Bottom