"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Always use recipes?

So I notice most posts here sharing ideas are just recipes being put down, so I was wondering, how many of you ALWAYS cook using recipes, and how many of you cook on the fly?

Me personally I only use recipes when I'm working and know I need to have the same finished product consistently, or with baking and desserts. With cooking at home, creating features in a restaurant or cooking for staff or anybody, I just start throwing things in to get the finished product I want. It's not always exactly what I was looking for but I haven't messed things up very much at all. To me cooking is all about denial and error (don't know how many Trailer Park Boys fans there are outside of canada...). I'm just trying to teach myself the general amounts of ingredients to put in to things by eyeing them up, I feel the best way to cook is from the heart and not from the paper. It helps put my own personal touch to something rather than just reproducing a recipe. Even when I look at a recipe I just use it as a general guideline for how much of certain items to put in, and don't usually measure things just use my hands or spoons to get the general amount said, maybe a bit more or less of something I want to slightly change for a different flavour. I also end up adding things to recipes all the time. I love the experimental part of cooking.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Im a on the fly type of guy.

i could never tell you measurements, just approx from what i remember putting in

Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Master Chef

I'll follow a recipe the first time I try it. If we like the outcome, I'll try to follow the measurements but not always exactly. I'll often see a recipe and like what it says but know my family won't like some of the ingredients (green peppers, mushrooms) or that is has something I don't normally keep in the house and will make substitutions accordingly. I also do some dishes of just throwing stuff together but then the family will love it and I can't recreate it because I didn't keep track of what I threw in!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I always havea recipe. When I'm creating something new, I will, at least, have a sheet of paper with some initial thoughts and take notes while I'm cooking. When I'm using someone else's recipe, I usually change it or use just part of it anyway. Even when I eyeball something, I eyeball it, then measure it. I keep all my recipes electronically and most have notes and a change log.

In case anyone was wondering, I am NOT an accountant. I'm a fiscal manager =)
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I use a recipe as a base and then adapt it to my taste.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef

On the fly. Only use a measuring cup for rice.......and to water my indoor plants. I have actually changed a recipe, completely changed, three times while cooking it.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Recipe, what is it, I never heard of such thing, besides I can't really read in English.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

When I'm making a meal, I bring out my recipe to insure I don't leave something out. I'm jealous of those of you who have photographic memories and don't need to refer to a recipe, but I was not so blessed in that area. When I'm creating something new, I have a blank sheet of paper and write down the ingredients and corresponding amounts. I then note the way I put the concoction together, and enter it in my laptop and print out a copy for my recipe binder in a clear pocket.

Now, lapses of memory is not the only reason I write everything down, it's also so I am able to pass along my recipes to friends and relatives. My children will each be getting a copy of my recipe binder for Christmas this year. They will not be left wondering what went into Dad's chicken parm, his no-knead Italian herb bread or his oatmeal raisin cake cookies. Both my Mother and my Mother-in-law took recipes to their graves, and a lot of their favorites are lost forever.

That's my 2 cents on recipes.

JoeV
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Master Chef

First time making a dish, I usually follow the recipe to the T. But after that... it is just a guide and it has become my recipe.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
First time making a dish, I usually follow the recipe to the T. But after that... it is just a guide and it has become my recipe.
ditto.
But I eat more of my own TNT concocted meals than follow recipes.