Boiling potatoes...and other foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
potatoes and cold water bring to a boil,for mash pot. when i was doing this i rem. some where read or heard you bring the water and potatoes up to boil gradually. I usually get water to a boil on high then back it down. Is there some kind of rule on what foods you wouldnt go to high to get it to a boil,but bring to a boil gradually? I am thinking only ones with maybe a sugar base,or
is there more. Thanks . I guess what i am asking is there only certain times you can only do boil on high and back it down....when it says bring to a boil.

For water-based liquids (not melted sugar), get the pot to boiling on high. You usually do this then reduce to a simmer. It's just a matter of time. You want to get the pot boiling quickly so you can adjust to simmer and go about your business. I can not think of a reason to do so more slowly when the goal is to reduce to a simmer or continue boiling.

I think I do what you do. Peel potatoes, or not. Put them in a pot and fill with water one inch or so above the potatoes. Turn the fire on, usually pretty high. When they come to a boil, Put the cover on and lower temp to just above simmer and cook 20 minutes or so until they test done with a fork.

I don't know about sugars or starches or if this is a good or preferred way to cook 'em. I am impatient so want them to heat up fastest as possible.

If mashing, I drain them, return the potatoes to the pot and shake them over the Again raised temp on the burner to encourage some of the steam to escape. If making potatoes for like potato salad, I usually cook them in their jackets, allow the potato to cool til can handle easily, then peel. The skiins should easily slip off.

Mashed potatoes can be a little more complicated. If you have the problem of mashed potatoes coming out rather gluey, not soft and fluffy, consider these things.

Potato starch is stored in rather large packets prone to damage. You would like to keep those intact, since breaking them releases the starch and can lead to the undesirable texture. The key is managing temperature in two steps.

The first step stabilizes the starch granules. Cook potato slices in 150F water for 30 minutes. Then, cool them rapidly in ice water. The starch in the packets are now gelled and stable. The technical term is starch retrograde. This is permanent, so it can be done ahead.

You can now used high heat to finish cooking them, and you can mash them without so much fear of spoiling the texture. A ricer, chinois, or similar tool is better than a potato masher, and hand beaters/mixers should never be used.

The other issue is choice of potato variety. Yukon Gold types have less starch and so boil well, but they must be carefully handled as above if you're going to get them smooth enough with going gluey. Russet types will be mealier and will have more starch and will handle well for mashed.

thanks..... i have seen rec. where they say simmer,but never mention to bring to a boil first. One is a sloppy joe rec. it says brown meat and than simmer for xxx amt. of time.so one cant assume when see simmer in rec. you turn to high to boil than down to simmer?

little confused here. First of all i know what a simmer is . But when a rec. says bring to a simmer and simmer for x amt . of time,am i correct to either bring to a boil first then down to simmer or gradually bring up to simmer.One saves time doing boil first,right? Basically the rec. doesnt have to say boil first .

would u do the same for rec. that says bring to a simmer?

i just read for milk or cream based u dont do a boil first. can scorch

thanks..... i have seen rec. where they say simmer,but never mention to bring to a boil first. One is a sloppy joe rec. it says brown meat and than simmer for xxx amt. of time.so one cant assume when see simmer in rec. you turn to high to boil than down to simmer?

When you brown beef, it's already pretty hot, probably boiling, so you can lower it to a simmer and continue with the recipe. With dairy products, yes, boiling them will cause them to scorch. So you bring them to a simmer at a lower temperature and watch them so they don't boil.

would u do the same for rec. that says bring to a simmer?

Yes.

Typically, you do a recipes steps and end up with adding liquids. Then the instruction is to simmer. Unless you have a lot of time to waste, get the liquid boiling ASAP then reduce to a simmer. Why wait around?

Sorry for asking but not getting this. If i have say cream base or something that would scorch i would grad. bring up to simmer on a low setting (i would start at low and work up to the simmer) verse going to high ,boil then down to simmer?

Sorry for asking but not getting this. If i have say cream base or something that would scorch i would grad. bring up to simmer on a low setting (i would start at low and work up to the simmer) verse going to high ,boil then down to simmer?

I said:

With dairy products, yes, boiling them will cause them to scorch. So you bring them to a simmer at a lower temperature and watch them so they don't boil.

What is confusing you about this?

I have a Wolf stove so almost everything gets started on a high flame and when it gets going, the flame is adjusted. If by some chance it needs a lower flame from the beginning, one burner has an steel plate over it, to shield the pot bottom. Sometimes I heat the steel plate, turn off the burner and allow dinner plates to warm since the granite counter tops cool everything so fast.

Confused because have a new stove. Plus first time making a cream base rec. that's why i was asking by starting on low temp. And working up till see a simmer would be right (am i correct?)instead of going like I usually do boil at high then down to a lower setting till it started to simmer.

Last edited:

Do you drive, mumu?

I don't drive a car but do drive a tractor.

hmmm, this might be a bit of a stretch then, but think of it this way;
Suppose you want to go from 0 to 60. There are two ways to do it; one is to barely push on the accelerator and take forever to reach your speed; The other way is to push down hard on the accelerator, get there more quickly, but risk overshooting a bit and having to back off a lot when you get there.
It's the same with bringing something to a simmer. You can get there slow or get their fast, but if you are going to get there fast you need to pay closer attention. And if you are going to get there fast with something thick it will need stirred often as thick stuff doesn't agitate itself like thinner stuff. That's why some people burn the meatballs in the spaghetti sauce.
Stop trying to figure out your knobs and start paying more attention to what's in the pot. It's the end result that counts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom