Breaded camembert - shallow vs deep fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
If I want breaded camembert, recipes seem to call for deep-fat frying for a couple of minutes. How about shallow frying on all sides and then finishing in the oven? I don't want all that fat being wasted in a big pan since it wont be used.

How big is it?

When I do goat cheese rilettes, I flour, egg, breadcrumb the disks. Chill it for a while, and then sauté on both sides in a bit of olive oil. If your camembert isn't too large, I don't see why you cannot do it the same way.

If you wanted to change your recipe, you could wrap a chilled camembert in a puff pastry sheet (you'll have to roll it out a bit), seal the edges and then bake it. No frying at all, this way. You could also add some nuts and preserves on top of the cheese, too, this way.

It's not massive, but I read some recipes that said to cut the cheese into slices first, anyway. I don't know what will be the culinary significance of not having the rind there, to protect the liquid golden cheese within during cooking.

The reason for deep frying is to seal the outside of the cheese all at once - to form a sealed case to contain the melting cheese.

As for finishing in the oven ... what? All that will accomplish is melting the cheese even more and making the crust soggy.

It sounds like what you are making is just basically deep fried cheese sticks. To conserve oil - use a smaller sauce pan and fry in smaller batches.

another option is to wrap it in pastry (pie crust or filo) and then just bake it.. this method has worked out great for me with brie. I slice it in half and put a layer of sweet or savory filling (such as a nice jam or some pesto) and then wrap and bake until crust is golden... easy! Maybe not what you are going for but a thought.

Back
Top Bottom