"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

i'm going to disagree with you, goodweed, though that's quite a rarity. i was taught to fry/bake immediately, as the breading gets soggy.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i'm going to disagree with you, goodweed, though that's quite a rarity. i was taught to fry/bake immediately, as the breading gets soggy.
That could be true, if the oven isn't hot enough. Higher heat will dry the bread crumbs, leaving them with a soft crunch by the time the meat is finished cooking. Also, do you start with fresh, or dried bread crumbs?

It's true that I have had the misfortune of soggy bread crumbs before I figured out that using a hot oven was the ticket. But as with everything, there needs to be a ballance. Too hot and the bread crumbs can scorch before the meat is cooked through. To low a temp, and you get streamed bread crumbs on the outer surface of the meat.

Another great coating to use in place of bread crumbs is farina, or cream of wheat, mixed in with the seasoned flour. It gives you a pleasant, subtle crunch. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Back when I used to bread things, I would add a bit of Parmesan cheese to the bread mix. It would really help the browning, plus add a bit of flavor.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Cook

Goodweed, you say 40 min at 400 F. I assume that varies with the size of what you are cooking (ie, chicken nuggests vs. tenders or fishsticks vs. a half breast or half fish)?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin8 View Post
Goodweed, you say 40 min at 400 F. I assume that varies with the size of what you are cooking (ie, chicken nuggests vs. tenders or fishsticks vs. a half breast or half fish)?
For 1 whole chicken, (2 to 3 pounds) 45 minutes will work. but you are right. Time will change according to the amount of food being baked.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Cook

Just the other night I made chicken nuggets with Romano Peccorino cheese, freshly grated. It is a superb addition to any dry mix for breading. I perfer romano, but Parmigiano-Reggiano is great as well. Please, don't use the synthetic blends, use the real deal for these cheeses.

I basically removed the meat from four split chicken breasts and cubed it (and threw the remaining meat and bone into the stockpot to make some chicken stock). Then I dredged in flour, then let it rest a few minutes. why let it rest? to allow the meat's surface to fully bond and absorb that layer of flour.

from the flour I dredged in eggs(two beaten eggs, not frothy) and imediately from the eggs into a ziplock filled with flour, fresh grated romano cheese, and seasonings (paprika mainly). From there, its on to the foil coated baking tray with a blast of spray oil on it.

I don't particularly agree or disagree with the set time for the battered pieces, as allowing the first coat of flour to set ensures the egg mixture sticks, which is sticky enough to make sure the breading sticks, especially when using a four based breading. typically it takes me 3 minutes or more to fill a sheet, so that's resting time well spent.

Now if I'm doing fried chicken , I always avoid eggs, especially if I am baking it. Baked fried chicken for the win! I dredge in seasoned flour, then in buttermilk, and then in breadcrumbs (or my favorite, a mix of crushed corn and bran flakes, with some rolled oats added).

sometimes if I am dipping my chicken, I just dredge in seasoned flower, deep fry, and then imediately dip in hot sauce before serving. that's my favorite way to make wings. there's no need for binding agents as the single coat of flour and the dip sauce is enough to satisfy.