"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 01-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Cando, thanks for those thoughts. One of the thoughts on this was to share a hunk of beef with someone else. I probably have steak twice a week, so it wouldn't take me long to go through it, but it could make a Foodsaver a good investment.

Chickens...argh...those chickens. When I buy a pre-roasted chicken at the store, I usually just tear the meat off by hand then. Not nearly frozen like Bob's wife, but hey...it works for me

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Master Chef
Oh, back to the original question. I know a guy who does that on a regular bases. He buys like half of a cow and cuts it up him self. Does it ones a year or so.
I would asume for something like this you would have to a have a saw and a good set of knives. And maybe a good diagram on how store cuts the meat, I'm sure that can be founf on line. Food grade saw I've seen it in Northern Electric (or was it Hydrolick) ones.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
You mentioned a top sirloin. You could expect to get roasts and a few steaks from that. I'd guess it weighs less than 20 pounds, right?
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I think the one I looked at what about 16 lbs. They had bigger ones, but I'd probably go for smaller than bigger.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
Head Chef
Yep, Uncle Bob it can be done and I have done it. Usually find the cleaver or knife a bit faster and don't think I lost anything in taste by not doing it.

All muscle is surrounded by a fibrous layer. It gives you a potential surface to work your fingers into to separate the meat from the bone.

Sometimes the fibers connecting the fibrous membrane to the bone are tough to break and the effort just results in a bit of ripped chickie.

But when it works you have one find looking piece of fowl.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Its the best way to get steaks

Buying large (sub primal) cuts and slicing steaks is by far the best way to save on summer steaks.

Here in ON there was a sale on at a grocery chain of whole beef tenderloins for $5.97 per pound. At that price the whole tenderloin ran about $28-29.

The techique is incredibly simple. Lay the whole cut of meat flat in your freezer for one hour to firm it up. Then using a rigid blade knife (at least 8 inches long and not a flexible boning knife) slice (don't chop) steaks the thickness you want. Whole tenderloins taper at the end so you might end up with a pointy steak there but the savings are up to 50% over retail cut steaks of the same cut so you really can't go wrong.

As for boning a chicken, there are a number of classic cookbooks that detail the process in drawings or pictures so check them out first. There can be a lot of waste in cutting up whole chickens if you don't make stock then the backs are usually headed for the garbage with most people.

Like all meat, chicken is much easier to work when close to frozen and a boning knife is the instument of choice here.

Georgeco is offline   Reply With Quote