Condensing Liquids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm just curious if this can be done with liquids other than apple wine and alcoholic drinks. I know that if you take apple wine, and partially freeze it, you can then strain out the ice, thereby concentrating the alcohol. If you do this a few times, you get applejack, a very potent alcoholic beverage. The same thing can be done with a pre-mixed screwdriver.

I now that if you partially freeze whole milk, ice crystals, or shards form in the milk. If you strain the milk through a fine mesh sieve, I'm thinking you could be making condensed milk. I don't know how far you could condense the milk with this method, but it might be an interesting experiment.

I'm just thinking out loud.:)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You need a liquid where the stuff you want freezes at a much lower temperature than water, so the the water can be separated that way. I don't know, but I don't think it would work with milk. My fridge is quite cold and occasionally freezes the milk. The shards that form in the milk look like frozen milk, not like water.

Condensed is sweetened milk with the water removed. To make it, you need to add sugar and the cook it so the water evaporates. I doubt freezing it would result in the same product.

Back
Top Bottom