"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
Head Chef

yeah .. thought about that , tat ...
was just thinking about how the ladies that run the
job site canteens do it ...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
heard that. Concession stands take a lot more effort to run then a lot of people realize. We ran one for the annual Harbor Fest and it was a chore! Not to mention the health guys seemed to be more into things then at any of my restaurants at the time. But that is a good thing.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
sounds like you're in over your head! Where and for what are you going to be doing this? Are these burgers for sale? Is the place licensed? Do they have adequate insurance? Make sure you cannot be held personally liable if someone gets sick!
I agree! Personally I would not want a burger that was nuked or cooked in a toaster oven.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I agree! Personally I would not want a burger that was nuked or cooked in a toaster oven.
I have frequently resorted to broiling burgers, and hot dogs, too, in my toaster oven. I didn't just buy it to make toast, after all!

There is no difference between broiling them in the toaster oven or under the broiler of your regular oven, except they get done faster in the toaster oven.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I'm with Caine on using a toaster oven to broil. They do an excellent job. I had one that was big enough to cook a 12-14 lb. turkey and it did alright baking bread too. Wish I still had it.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

The only way I see you consistently being able to do this with the equipment at hand is to pre-cook the burgers using the toaster oven, then zapping them real quick in the microwave to order. For example, say you open at 11am for lunch. Start pre-cooking at 10am and keep them in a foil covered hotel pan or aluminum foil pan. When you get an order, nuke it for about 30-40 seconds. Depending on the volume that you'll be doing, only pre-cook enough to where the burgers will be at room temp. for 1 hour tops. If you're busy, you'll be constantly pre-cooking throughout the day. Make sure that you properly rotate the burgers (FIFO - First In, First Out) and switch/wash pans every hour as well. If you plan on doing these burgers to order there's no way in h.ell that you'll be able to keep up with just a toaster oven.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I buy a box of the frozen White Castle Burgers. They are precooked with chopped onions and cheese - nuke 'em for a few seconds & they're done. Not bad tasting either. How they prepare and freeze them, I dunno. But, I would try making and freezing ahead of time. Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Cook

If this is going to be something you are going to do on a regular basis, you might want to check out Smokaroma.com. They sell a product called Instant Burger. The device will fry 2 burgers in 25 seconds. Place two balls of ground beef on the cooking surface, close the lid and press the start button - electricity will pass between the two metal plates, cooking the meat in between them. I've seen these in action and they do cook that fast and the burgers are excellent. The trick is to have two burgers going while you're prepping the buns and keep 'em moving. Also, they require no hood or ventilation in most locations (check local regulations). I found one currently on Ebay starting at $500.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #19
Executive Chef

The thing is are you working for someone else?Then of course you dont want to invest in a good way to cook burgers but if it's your own business it's worth investing in.The other thing if thats all you have to work with do you really want to turn out crappy burgers for someone else and and possibly not get anymore jobs because people will think you are a crappy cook because they dont know you dont have the right equipment.If you are working for somebody else I would demand the right equipment or refuse the job.