Cooking times for two 7 pound chickens at one time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rose

Assistant Cook
I will be roasting two 7 pound chickens at the same time and I would like to know what the cooking time would be. Is it double the time for cooking one?
Thanks very much for the help.:)

Hi, Rose. Those are pretty big roasters. I cook double hens all the time, but more in the 3-or-less pound range for protein snacks and barbecue packets. It doesn't take twice as long, but just make sure the internal temp reaches 180 degrees (in the deepest part of the thigh). You could probably go at least 2 1/2 hours at 350 degrees for 7-pounders. Also, if you stick a toothpick in a thigh and the juice runs clear (not pink), that's a pretty good indication that they're done.

I've had good luck cooking large chickens at higher temperatures. Put them into the oven "feet first" and side by side. There should be several inches of space between and around the birds to allow for heat circulation.

Roast them @ 450 F for 30 minutes, turn the temp down to 375 F and go for another half hour and check the thigh temp.

If you like, after the first half hour, make deep cuts between the leg/thighs and the chicken's body on all sides. This allows heat into the area inside the thigh that's the last place to get done.

Back
Top Bottom