"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
I disagree, at least in some situations. I would not move a pot of hot soup or stew directly from boiling on the stove or in the oven to the refrigerator.
I really don't think that's what she meant - from boiling to fridge. I think she meant turning off when done - eating - and while cleaning up.....

VeraBlue - I guess when I said "holes" I didn't clarify. When I make holes in plastic wrap or aluminum foil I tend to tear it into a larger hole by twisting the knife a bit.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't cool foods on the counter before refrigeration other than for the time it takes to eat dinner if we're talking about leftovers.

For large batches of soup or tomato sauce or other foods made solely for freezing, I portion to meal-sized containers and refrigerate fairly quickly after cooking is done.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
Head Chef

I make big batches of beef stew often enough. To cool rapidly, I transfer it from the heavy-bottomed cooking vessel into a very large SS bowl. Then either I plunge a frozen bottled water bottle (kept for this purpose) into it, or fill up a ziplock bag with ice cubes and immerse this in the stew. Works everytime.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chopstix - I forgot about the water bottle trick!!!!! That's really key too - cooling it from the inside out - thanks for reminding me!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Oh dear. This will be an unpopular comment but since everybody's generally so nice here, I'll be brave and proceed:

As you'll see on the left, I live in Athens, Greece now, but I originally hail from New York. When I first came here, many years ago, I brought with me all my American ideas of food safety and handling, any number of which I've had to revise because they've simply proven not to be true in practice.

The rushing of previously-hot food into the fridge is a prime example. When I first came and saw my future hubby's mother leave food in the (cool) oven from midday dinner until late the same evening, or from evening overnight until morning -- I just about dropped over! Once married my hubby tried the same and we argued fiercely about it. Until I phoned my dad who's a chemist and a generally level-headed guy.

In short, he essentially agreed with my new Greek family, saying that leaving food for a matter of hours in a small, enclosed space was not likely to be harmful. He based his opinion on something very scientific I've long since forgotten.

However! Since then, increasingly, I've become much more casual about this -- you know, when in Rome. And I must report that our immediate and extended families have never, to the best of my knowledge, had food poisoning or any such ailments.

This may horrify any number of you (a cousin who came to visit remembers two things in particular: how long we left our food out after dinner, and that I actually hang clothes outside to dry. I won't bother to clarify how I feel about this!) but please bear it in mind. I would propose that you will neither kill yourselves nor the members of your family if you leave the stew on the counter to cool ...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
I disagree, at least in some situations. I would not move a pot of hot soup or stew directly from boiling on the stove or in the oven to the refrigerator.
You should cool it first, but not by leaving it on the counter. First, transfer it to a cool vehicle, then either set it in an ice bath or use an ice paddle.

An ice paddle resembles a large plastic bottle that is filled with water and stored in the freezer, usually in a plastic bag. When you have a soup or sauce that is going to be stored, you remove the paddle from the bag and place it into the soup. You introduce ice without diluting. Any one litre soda or water botte will work. Don't fill it completely with water, since it will expand when it freezes.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I really don't think that's what she meant - from boiling to fridge. I think she meant turning off when done - eating - and while cleaning up.....

VeraBlue - I guess when I said "holes" I didn't clarify. When I make holes in plastic wrap or aluminum foil I tend to tear it into a larger hole by twisting the knife a bit.
That would certainly work. You will want as much hot air to escape as possible.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Oh dear. This will be an unpopular comment but since everybody's generally so nice here, I'll be brave and proceed:

As you'll see on the left, I live in Athens, Greece now, but I originally hail from New York. When I first came here, many years ago, I brought with me all my American ideas of food safety and handling, any number of which I've had to revise because they've simply proven not to be true in practice.

The rushing of previously-hot food into the fridge is a prime example. When I first came and saw my future hubby's mother leave food in the (cool) oven from midday dinner until late the same evening, or from evening overnight until morning -- I just about dropped over! Once married my hubby tried the same and we argued fiercely about it. Until I phoned my dad who's a chemist and a generally level-headed guy.

In short, he essentially agreed with my new Greek family, saying that leaving food for a matter of hours in a small, enclosed space was not likely to be harmful. He based his opinion on something very scientific I've long since forgotten.

However! Since then, increasingly, I've become much more casual about this -- you know, when in Rome. And I must report that our immediate and extended families have never, to the best of my knowledge, had food poisoning or any such ailments.

This may horrify any number of you (a cousin who came to visit remembers two things in particular: how long we left our food out after dinner, and that I actually hang clothes outside to dry. I won't bother to clarify how I feel about this!) but please bear it in mind. I would propose that you will neither kill yourselves nor the members of your family if you leave the stew on the counter to cool ...
Hi Ayrton
Rather than argue the finer points of food safety and sanitation, I'm just going to say this...I love the way my laundry smells when I opt to hang it out rather than use the clothes dryer
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks for the ideas. I had never heard of an ice paddle.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Hi Ayrton
Rather than argue the finer points of food safety and sanitation, I'm just going to say this...I love the way my laundry smells when I opt to hang it out rather than use the clothes dryer
I can't help but smile, VeraBlue. That was the most diplomatic and sweet way of saying "jeez, don't wanna eat at YOUR house!" I could imagine!

(Nothing like sheets dried out in fresh air, is there?)