Food Tips - better ways with them....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandmother (the one who was a great cake maker but a bad cook with anything else, used to soak mushrooms in salt water for a minimum of half an hour "to make sure they weren't poisonous" (don't ask!). By the time they came out of the water they were soggy and waterlogged and they stewed rather than fried so you never got a lovely fried mushroom with a firm texture and nice browned edges.

We used to soak wild field mushrooms in salted water for a few minutes. My Grandmother thought that it would force out any bugs or worms that might have infested them, not sure if it was true or not.

We used to soak wild field mushrooms in salted water for a few minutes. My Grandmother thought that it would force out any bugs or worms that might have infested them, not sure if it was true or not.

I soak Hen of the Woods in salt water. There are plenty of critters hiding in all the ruffles that would be hard to get out otherwise. Doesn't affect the texture or taste.

Last edited:
Fish Descaling whole fish is less messy if done inside a large plastic bag - stops the scales flying everywhere. I like to place the bag in the sink whilst doing this.

Evergreen Lettuce
If not using the whole lettuce and the inner leaves are yellowish/much paler green, I find this method will restore the darker green.

Rinse the lettuce in cold water, shaking off the excess and return it back to its bag. Then place the lettuce on an inner windowshelf (not in direct sunlight) during the daytime. Depending on the light availability it will turn darker green by 1 -2 days. (Darker green vegetables have more Vitamins A and C).

Last edited:
What is evergreen lettuce? Here, evergreen refers to perennials that have green leaves year-round.
It is just my way of saying lettuce that stays (ever) green - as my post describes the way of doing this! :)

I forgot to say (although I thought this too might be obvious) that, once it becomes greener, to place it back in the fridge to chill before use.

Back
Top Bottom