Grating lemon zest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I have a recipe which calls for zest and juice from lemons. Is it easier to grate the zest from the lemon and then juice it (messy) or juice it and then try to grate the zest from the skin (messy)?

I have always zested first. Seems like it would be hard to get the zest off a squeezed lemon. If you don't like lemon juice on your hands, you might want to find one of those old fashioned lemon squeezers. I have one, seldom use it.

Zest first. Too hard to try to zest a squeezed half lemon, and zesting first seems to produce more juice.

I'll chime in, albeit a little late, agreeing with everyone. Zest first. The more you handle lemons or limes, the easier it will be to juice them later. So wash, dry, zest. In between roll and warm the fruit, and you'll get more juice from it.

I use a gadget like this, which does a super job of getting just the zest off the lemon or lime or orange with no pith. It would be difficult to use on a piece of fruit that had been cut and juiced, so I always zest first, then juice.

41XX3JCCXSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Wash. Zest. Nuke for 20 seconds. Roll on the cutting board heavily. Cut in half. Juice on a glass (or plastic) hand juicer. You can puree the empty core, too. It is great in soups, so freeze it in ice cube trays and store in plastic bags.

this is the perfect zester for me.
double ditto, this is the best. i also have this one which has a rubber foot.

Stainless Steel Coarse Grater

img_812389_1_d581becae6e4a3cc2047a17370373308.jpg

For Grating of Chocolate, Hard Cheese, Coconut, Ginger & Garlic.

The coarse grater makes small flecks, ideal for salads. All Microplane® 38000 Professional Series graters are dishwasher-safe, featuring all stainless steel construction, comfortably curved handles and non-slip rubber feet.

oops

I should have gone on here to ask about that earlier. I juiced then zested, then wondered why I was having a hard time with it. DUH!:LOL:

I should have gone on here to ask about that earlier. I juiced then zested, then wondered why I was having a hard time with it. DUH!:LOL:
i did that also my first time, then i cut the zest off and tried shredding it. not a good idea. we learn from our mistakes, i just wish i would stop learning!! :LOL:

I also have a microplane -- having used both it and the dedicated citrus ester I mentioned above, I much prefer the results I get with the latter.

Thanks msmofet. I don't feel so bad now. You're right..we do learn, unfortunately I have A LOT of learning to do about cooking!
just remember alot of wonderful recipes started out as mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom