How do I cut (fabricate) a chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarrettB

Assistant Cook
Are there any good websites that demonstrate how to properly process and prepare poultry?

Thats great, last time i tried preparing a whole chicken i butchered the thing. Well not really butchered, lol. But hopefully you know what I mean.

I've been cutting up chickens for 40 years.

Pull leg & thigh away from body and slice away from body. When you get to the joint, pull it backwards, dislocating the joint, and cut off. Dislocate leg from thigh the same way, and cut them apart.
Pull wings the same way, and remove from body. Cut off wing tip, and save in freezer bag for soup. Pull the two wing pieces apart, and cut in two, if you wish. (You may also leave the wings whole, folding the tip under as if the wing were doing a little yoga exercise.)
Feel were the ribs join together on the sides, holding the back and front together, and slice through to separate the front from the back.
Cut the bony back section in half at the middle.
There are two ways you can do the breast. You can cut it in 2 or three pieces.
To cut it in two pieces, just take the point of the butcher's knife and put it right in the middle of that bony piece that goes down the middle, punch down, then cut the whole thing in half.
To cut it in three pieces, one being the the pulley bone (wish bone), put your knife in that same boney piece (you'll be able to feel the wishbone with your fingers), and cut a V-shaped section out of the top center. Then cut the remaining piece in half, as above.

Once you have learned how to cut up a chicken, you can dissect any fowl, rabbit, squirrel, what have you. You just have to think about the skeletal structure of the animal.

Back
Top Bottom