"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I got that book for Christmas, and its fabulous!!!! I thought it would be a bit dry and dull, but it has been so useful.
Harold McGee's book is my bible. He just came out with a new version last month. There's a good article on him on NYTimes about a month ago.

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:02 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Yes, I knew that. Apparantly, my attempt at humor was weaker than I thought!!
Andy, isn't what your talking about the "Margarita" browning effect?

Never fear Andy ... the best "Chinese" food I ever had was in Chelmsford ... a place back behind the Holiday Inn just East of highway out of Boston. I don't remember the Hwy number - but I remember the walking tour in Chelmsford ... and that the "L" is silent ....

On Food and Cooking definately isn't a "recipe" book .... but it is fantastic reading if you want to get past the recipes and learn about the science behind cooking. His second book, The Curious Cook, is good reading, too, but it's not worth more than the cover price. Since Harold has gotten popular and Curious Cook is out of print the 2nd hand book sellers are selling it for premium prices ... it's a good read but not worth over $20 - some are selling it for as much as $160! You would be better off getting Shirley Corriher's CookWise.

For those who are fans of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" and haven't figured it out yet ... the foundation of his science behind his cooking is primarily Harold McGee and Shirley Corriher .... the drama and recipes are his.

Yep, Eric, I have the Revised Edition ... and it was either on his website or on a cooking forum website (I can't remember which one now) that he mentioned that a LOT of material that he had for the book got left on the cutting room floor. I sure hope he publishes that "scaps from the floor" material, soon.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
that he had for the book got left on the cutting room floor. I sure hope he publishes that "scaps from the floor" material, soon.
Michael,
I like the first book so much. I don't think science has changed in a while so I figure...the science today is the same as it was back then right?

I probably won't get the second book unless I got it real...cheap

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

What can I say, Eric? Harold studied and wrote a book ... he studied more and updated the original book. Did the science change? Probably not. Was more of that science explored, discovered and revealed in the Revised Edition? Probably.

Does he have more to reveal to us? Yes.

His 2nd book, The Curious Cook is a good read .... but limited in scope, and definately deeper in science than On Food and Cooking. As much as I have been enjoying reading it ... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that has to pay more than original cover price.