Cake Pan Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you bake chef,I didn't know that about the cake mix companies. Very helpful. And thank you gotgarlic, Andy ,and oldvine.

What can I do now? I made a cake this weekend in fact a couple seeing what I might have done wrong. I used betty Crocker cake mix and it yield me a little over 4 cups of batter. I was using 2 ...9 inch round 2 inch deep. And div. the batter in between these two pans .... like they say to do. It produced very thin layers. So I decided to go by what Wilton site says to use as far as batter is concern for 9 inch and they say use 5 cups per pan 2/3 full,so I did that and it overflowed the pan. Next I only filled it about 1/2 instead of 2/3 and it did the same thing overflow a little. I called betty Crocker and they said there cake box says to divide evenly batter between the two 9 pan and I will have a nice layer when done. I explained to them my layers were thin. They said with the amount of leavings I bel. That's what she said in it ,it would of rosé to nice height. I asked about more batter in the pans and what Wilton says to use and what happen,and her reply was its bec. Of the rising agents in the cake mix that made it overflow ,bec. Of too much batter. So how in the world do you make thick layers with not over flowing?

Can some one help me answer this question. On the wilton chart site it says a 13x9x2 pan should have 10 cups of batter for It to be 1/2 to 2/3 full. And Duncan Hines cake I have a devil food one has a 5 cup batter per box.ok here's the problem... According to wilton the 13x9 should be 10 cups ...2 boxes of Duncan Hines,but Duncan Hines says to only use the one box 5 cups...doing 10 cups is wrong....overflow. So what is right ...do you go by cups which is either 1/2 or 2/3 full batter in pan. Or what? How can both be right. Thanks. Any help will be appr. Also wilton test kitchen worked with Duncan Hines ,betty Crocker, pills. When they made this chart. Even the chart one person put in this forum says 14 cups. How could there be such a difference between the two? Did call both companies and both say they are right. How is that possible.

Last edited:
I have always gotten proper results when following the directions on the cake mix. The cake mix box gives you alternatives that are appropriate.

If you go by what bakechef said in post #17 about extra leavening in mixes as compared scratch cakes, it makes sense.

Whether it's a cake mix or a scratch recipe, go by the directions on the box/in the recipe and you should be fine.

If you have a recipe without a recommended pan size either experiment or choose another recipe.

So would the chart..Wilton's only be talking about scratch cakes,but that doesn't make sense,they worked with these people to make the chart. I understand about following the box or rec. but when would you follow the chart. What or when does the chart apply? When does the 10 cup apply? Sorry just trying to understand.

Last edited:
So would the chart..Wilton's only be talking about scratch cakes,but that doesn't make sense,they worked with these people to make the chart. I understand about following the box or rec. but when would you follow the chart. What or when does the chart apply? When does the 10 cup apply? Sorry just trying to understand.

10 cups of batter for a 13x9x2 pan is between half and 2/3s full.

Back
Top Bottom