Polenta Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I made some polenta this morning for the first time. Like a good DC member, I looked up some recipes and discussions first and noticed the advice to pour cornmeal into the boiling liquid in a thin stream.

What's a good technique to achieve a thin stream? I just poured it out of a 2-cup measure with one hand while stirring with the other hand, and the cornmeal just sort of glopped out, of course creating lumps.

I beat the snot out of it with my whisk, but a few smallish lumps remained. I'm not too worried about the consistency (gonna slice and grill it later anyway) and will practice some more, but is there something else I could have/should have done?

It just takes practice. You did all the right things, but it is not easy to get that thin stream. Keep trying and you will get it.

I just thought of an idea. Do you have one of those flexible cutting mats? You could pour it from one of those and maybe it would pour as more of a slow stream. Actually I have found the steam does not have to be all that slow. The key is to have it be steady and not "glop" out like you described.

Don't have one of those cutting mats, but I did think that next time I might use some wax paper to pour it from. I think another problem was that I used two cups of cornmeal (can't seem to make a small amount of anything), so the measuring cup was quite full when I started 'pouring.'

I also thought maybe I would just keep adding healthy pinches with my fingers, but I think that would take forever!

Mudbug:

Was the cornmeal loose and lump free before you started to pour it? Sometimes humidity will cause clumps. Next time make sure the corn meal is loose and clump free before pouring. Also, try pouring while moving the measuring cup back and forth side to side as if you were trying to evenly spread the corn meal on a baking sheet or similar.

Perhaps you could reserve a little of the water meant for boiling, putting it in a cup, then add the dry cornmeal to that, stirring until all lumps are disolved. Then, when the water boils, pour from the cup. Keep stirring - you shouldn't get any lumps.

Cooking corn meal is something my family does all the time, and I've watched my Auntie Sylvia, who LOVES that stuff, make it a thousand times. It's a staple food for just about every culture in Africa, I think because it's so inexpensive. When eaten for breakfast, it's made to a much thinner consistancy, and served with cream and sugar and maybe a little butter - as a porridge. If it's being made to serve with a lunch or dinner dish, it's made much thicker. They call this mielie-pap, or just pap (pronounced pup - mielie means corn). Both white and yellow corn meal are used. The stiffer consistancy pap is called stywe (for stiff) pap or, sometimes krummel pap (crumbly), is served with a sauce, usually tomato/onion based. Another of my Aunts likes to put corn kernals (frozen or from a tin) in with her stywe pap. I had never heard of polenta till I came here, but it seems very similar. I'd like to try and make it, roll it into a round and then cut pieces to fry, serving with a good soft white cheese (brie?) and a tomato based sauce. Polenta certainly has a much nicer name.

Andy, that might have been part of the problem. I'm also thinking that because I used a glass measuring cup, the grains stuck to it more than they would have to a metal cup.

Sandyj, polenta is indeed very similar to your pap. The breakfast porridge we would call cornmeal mush and is very popular in various parts of the U.S. I plan on slicing and grilling mine for dinner (it's firming up in the fridge as we speak) and pouring this lovely roasted red pepper sauce I made the other day over it. The Brie sounds delicious!

I will make sure to tell HH that, Andy! I made plenty, so there will be lots left over. What do you think - fry it up in olive oil for tonight and in butter for breakfast?

Sounds good to me.

BTW, I copied that red pepper sauce recipe and will be trying it soon. Thanks.

Last edited:
The best method to use is, as you have realised, to pour your polenta from a piece of folded baking paper (or even regular paper). Also pouring from a bit of a height does help as well rather than really close to the water's surface.

It is easier to do with one person stirring the water, the other pouring, but if you haven't got a helper on hand you can stir the water in your pot quite quickly (taking care not to spill water over the sides) creating a bit of a whirlpool vortex thing happening, then begin to pour your polenta in a thin steady stream.

As for lumps being present in you polenta even before you stirred it in it is probably moisture. You could take some amount of muslin (cheesecloth) put some rice in it then secure it very tightly with a rubber band. This will help to absorb some of the moisture.

mudbug said:
I will make sure to tell HH that, Andy! I made plenty, so there will be lots left over. What do you think - fry it up in olive oil for tonight and in butter for breakfast?
Mud.
try a little of both..I like butter but mix in a little evoo as well..One other thing, I don't know if anyone but me does this, but the brand of polenta I buy had a recipe for it to be done in the oven!! no lumps, no spattering, just good ol polenta, I add extra butter and some parmesan as I take it out of the oven and it works great..If your interested the brand is Pheasant and even my Italian m-i-l used to love it.
kadesma..If you can't find this brand I'll get the recipe for you.

Beginner's Luck?

Well, apparently the little lumps in my first polenta decided to lie down and take their beating because the finished product was wonderfully creamy yet firm enough to stand up to grilling in my trusty iron skillet.

I chilled the mix first in a 9 x 13 pan, then used a wineglass rim to stamp out six medallions for frying.

I suppose it isn't possible to gather the scraps together and re-form them like you do with pie dough. No matter - I'll eat them anyway.

My hunch was correct. Delicious with that red pepper sauce.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and tips!

That sounds delicious Mudbug! Next time, to avoid the scraps, cut then into squares or rectangles or even triangles. No more scraps that way.

Mudbug,

if you have leftover scraps, break them up and then warm them up in a skillet with some butter, I love them that way and keep back several slices to do just that with. If I have a meat sauce I will sometimes mix that in, makes a great little lunch:LOL:
kadesma

Double Boiler

Try Just tossing all your ingredients into a bowl and cook it over a double boiler until you have the cosistancy you're looking for.

I've always just used a measuring cup - never had a problem - but the paper idea sounds good. I also grill the chilled polenta on the BBQ and that's delightful.

BTW did you add some Parmesan cheese? That's also extremely delicious!

Polenta is grand with everything!

Back
Top Bottom