Roasting dried chili's question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
OK, I've never "roasted" anything except a cut of beef called a roast before in my life. The recipe says to remove stems and seeds from the dried ancho chili's and roast under the broiler for 2 minutes on each side. I did that and nearly choked on the smell, had to leave the kitchen area completely just to breath, open all my windows and turn on fans to get the smoke out of the house. I think they're burnt, but having never done it before...is it supposed to be that bad? Have I ruined them? Do I need to start over? :ermm:

sigh...i'll never be a "good" cook! ;)

I roast dry peppers all the time. It's actually pretty common in Indian cuisine if you really want the fresh aroma because just like nuts the pepper skin releases it's oils when it's roasted.

I think to do it correctly you can't leave it unattended and in the oven unlike what the recipe stated. Here is what you do next time you want to roast dry peppers (any kind):

Take a flat skillet and put it on the heat. Throw the dry peppers on it and ensure the heat is at a medium low. Take a slotted spoon or small spatula and keep moving the peppers around in the skillet so that they toast evenly on all sides.

Take extra precaution not to burn them or to create so much heat that the whole thing starts to smoke. This is when you have ruined it and the coughing spells will never end.

So do it slowly and not for too long. You will get a nice aroma when its done right but never smoke.

Thank you, Yakuta! I'll be trying this tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get better results!

My husband does it either on the barbecue or under the broiler. Leaves them whole, and puts them under (or over) the heat until they blister on each side. Then he puts them in a bag until they are cool enough to handle, then peels and seeds them. He does this to chilis and bell peppers. I then freeze them to have on hand. He uses this method to make harissa as well.

Hi Claire, your husband's method would work well for fresh chilis but for dried chilis I would not recommend a broiler, oven or any of them because they are dried and all they need are just a gentle toasting to release the oils.

I once put my dried peppers in a microwave because that's another way to toast dry chilis but I remember it was a huge mess as they burnt and the smoke alarm went off and the entire room was filled with chili smoke and I kept coughing for an hour. After that I learnt my lesson (I was a novice cook then) and I always do it in a skillet on low heat now.

Hi Claire, your husband's method would work well for fresh chilis but for dried chilis I would not recommend a broiler, oven or any of them because they are dried and all they need are just a gentle toasting to release the oils.
I guess this is why I had never heard of roasting dried chilies. Toasting yes, but not roasting.

I am just skimming today and did not read all the replies but I roast dry chilis all the time. I take my dry chilis whole and place them in a hot dry pan. Toss them until whiffs of smoke are noticable and they begin to turn dark. This will bring out a chocolatey flavor and greatly enhance the overall flavor. I do this with dry hot peppers as well especially when cooking Thai. You can do this with any dry spice as well including whole ppepper corns before grinfing them.

Enjoy!

Yakuta, absolutely. That method is only for fresh chillies. Once they are dried, well, we wouldn't roast them. By the way, when are you coming to galena!!

Back
Top Bottom