"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Scalding jars

How does one scald jars? I have a great recipe for Prunes in Port or "Squiffy" Prunes which I have tasted but never made. I have all the ingredients but don't really know how to scald jars. I have jars that seal very tightly that I'd like to use. The seal on the top has what I presume is plastic. Will hot water hurt that plastic?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
If they are proper canning jars(mason jars) you will be fine. You need to immerse all the parts into boiling water to sterilize them, and the it is the cooling action once the food is canned and lidded, that provides the vacuum to make it airtight.

The seal is made for it, so no worries.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Dear confused, you will need to have the proper lids to do your canning. Plastic lids won't really get the job done. Of course, scalding the jars will sterilize the jars, but you also have to scald/boil the lids and rings to be certain you have the proper sterile environment for canning your product.

If you mean "plastic" by the ring at the top of the lids, then you might have the proper lids. Still, we don't know for sure without more information.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
That is true, katie E. I see in the wording how it could go either way. And you are 100%, ALL parts need to be scalded, not just the jars.

Here is a resource site that covers all aspects of canning. I hope it can help.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Master Chef

I think I know what kind of jars Confused is talking about. I save large pickle jars for assorted uses, and the tops have a plastic liner for sealing. I no longer can pickles, but I do make up a few large jars that I keep refrigerated (we have an extra fridge in the garage), and these jars are great for that. The scalded jars do seal after I add the hot liquid, but I wouldn't chance leaving them out of refrigeration.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:56 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

scalding jars

Thanks to all who replied. If I get things done properly from Go to Whoa I'll publish the recipe under Fruits and Nuts. confused