Stir Fry Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dio S

Assistant Cook
Is the garlic supposed to stay golden? I found it impossible to do with the high heat and especially if garlic goes in first. It doesn't help that my heat is electric not gas. Lower the heat? Don't cook garlic first? Bigger cuts of garlic? Or is it normal to burn all the garlic by the time you are done with stir frying? Help would be very much appreciated.

I don't ever put the garlic in first, no matter what the recipe says. Especially not with stir fry and the high heat needed. I'd put it in after the meat or with veggies.

Do your garlic 1st so the flavor goes in to the oil, but then remove it. You can add it back, but you don't need to keep cooking it after it turns golden.
Same thing with sesame seeds.

Thanks. Both sound good. I like the first solution a bit better just because it's a bit of a chore to remove minced garlic (can be made easy if I have different equipment).

What order are you cooking the other

ingredients? I always cook the vegs then meat first, add garlic (finely minced and alone), stir few seconds, add ginger, stir few seconds, onion if using then add the sauce ingredients. I have never burned the garlic. You just have to cook it for seconds.

I know from my experience that garlic burns if going in first so based on my judgment I would really put meat/veg in before garlic, but I keep reading recipes that tell me to cook garlic first so I tried it several times [sigh]. I know cooking it later will solve my problem.

Do what you have to to keep the garlic from burning. Put it in early with the ginger to flavor the oil then take it out before it burns. Add it later when there are other foods in there so it won't burn. Both will work. I promise the stir fry police won't come after you.

I put it in with onions but once they are no longer completely raw, which is about 15 seconds on my stovetop, I add the next ingredient (ie. meat or veggies) and mix it quickly so that the garlic is not in the oil anymore. Usually works for me and does not get burnt that way

Thinly sliced garlic can also be added, though they are the exception rather than the rule.

Back
Top Bottom