"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Master Chef

Just to add to my post above. This is the problem with using these "cheap" smokers, whether they be charcoal or electric.... they tend to frustrate and turn users off due to their bad design and inefficiencies.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
That is simply not true with the right equipment. I can set the vents on my BGE to maintain 225 F for a whole packer brisket cook. Don't need any fancy gadgets either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The problem is your particular model of Brinkman smoker. I converted my el cheapo Brinkman electric smoker for charcoal use only, plus did a few minor modifications on the vents and to seal the unit. Now I can run it with no water in the pan for several hours and hold temps between 250 to 300, for instance, without having to babysit the smoker. My el cheapo Brinkman now runs as efficiently as a $300 Weber Smokey Mountain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Just to add to my post above. This is the problem with using these "cheap" smokers, whether they be charcoal or electric.... they tend to frustrate and turn users off due to their bad design and inefficiencies.
Thanks guys. Glad I checked back on this thread. I have included a picture of the smoker I have. Its not a water smoker. (when I had a water smoker, I ended up tossing the water pan altogether).
This unit is quite heavy. At least 100lbs or more. Fairly thick walled construction.

I have had some people tell me this type of smoker, stock off the shelf needs help. Mechanical help. Modifications?
I have been told that as the heat travels from the fire box through the tunnel and then out the chimney is not good the way it is. That the heat travels over the food and not into the food.
They mentioned a similar smoker that directs the heat down, (via some kind of capillary system) under the food, so its forced upwards instead of running horizontally and out the chimney.
Any suggestions to modify this one is appreciated.

At this point, I have stopped using the fire box completely. I now put the fire on one side and the food on the other inside the tunnel itself. (indirect cooking) Otherwise, I go through way to much charcoal or wood and temperature control is an issue. The biggest issue.
Using this new method, I only have to use only a small amount of wood or charcoal to get to temp. But to hold temp for long periods, I have to have hot coals ready. It is tiring to say the least. The smoker is downstairs and I am upstairs.

My Brinkman has wooden handles and a temp dial/display on the far right top of the tunnel lid. They are not identical, but very close.
TIA......John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brinkman Smoker.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	19802  

Old 07-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hi, I understand the problems you are having
You can find answers in website: Electric Smoker Guides

Tags