What to take to a cook out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I need some ideas and find out what others take to cookouts,
usually I take potatoe salad or home made mac and cheese...
what do you take?

Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip is what I take to almost every large gathering, indoors or outdoors...you will be the hit of the party. I believe the recipe is here on discusscooking somewhere. If not, I'll post it.

Baked beans are always a good addition to any BBQ. I will also take a pasta salad made with tri-color pasta, lots of cut up veggies, and use a vinegar/oil based salad dressing tossed in. If I have any roasted chicken around, I will also add that to the pasta salad. I feel that these two BBQ additions are good to take because they do not require refrigeration (the hosts' fridge may already be full of things that do need to be kept cold) and both can easily go along with whatever meat is on the menu as side dishes.

I always bring 2 things... A small bag of charcoal or an extra tank of propane. You have no idea how many times this has come in handy! The other thing I bring is beer LOL.

Wifey almost always brings her fameous taco salsd. It's always the first salad gone at the table.

California Chinese Cole Slaw

This is a change from your typical cole slaws and is very popular with folks.

Desserts are also appreciated by hosts.

Lee

California Chinese Coleslaw

1 head grated cabbage

1 pkg. (3/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, broken into pieces (uncooked)
(I discard the seasoning packet, but you can use it in the dressing, if you want)
1pkg. (1/2 cup) sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:

1 cup oil ½ cup sugar
6 T. Chinese white vinegar
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Leaving out oil, heat the other dressing ingredients until sugar melts. Add oil and cool.

Mix grated cabbage and green onions.

Toast almonds and sesame seeds separately, since the almonds take longer. Combine with the dried broken noodles.

To prevent sogginess, toss everything together just before serving.

Home chef said:
I always bring 2 things... A small bag of charcoal or an extra tank of propane. You have no idea how many times this has come in handy! The other thing I bring is beer LOL.

Wifey almost always brings her fameous taco salsd. It's always the first salad gone at the table.

I'll bet everyone's always happy to see you two! How about posting your wife's taco salad recipe?

I usually take my Killer Baked Beans, 7 layer salad, and Double Chocolate or Chocolate Peanut Butter Gooey Butter Cake. I think I've posted all of those recipes here.
Deviled eggs always go over well, too. I make mine with a little Miracle Whip, mustard, and sweet pickle relish, then top with a sliced olive or pimiento and paprika.

I usually take "THE Potatoes" ...

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Equal parts sour cream (equal to c of m soup)
1 medium onion, diced
3 to 4 cups shredded, sharp cheddar
1 lb bag, frozen, southern style hash browns (NOT the ones with the peppers)

Spread in a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake at 375 for 1 hour. If you leave them in the oven longer (covered), they only get better. I've also done it where I bake them at home then when we get to the party, I'll throw them in the host's oven until we're ready to eat.

BTW, the name came from all our friends asking "Are you bringing THE potatoes?" ... They might have a real name but I don't know it. :rolleyes:
Enjoy!

Baked beans
deviled eggs with bacon
spinach and artichoke dip
and or stuffed mushrooms
or
a dessert of some kind.

pdswife said:
Baked beans
deviled eggs with bacon
spinach and artichoke dip
and or stuffed mushrooms
or
a dessert of some kind.

Gee, your stuff sounds good. I never thought about using bacon in deviled eggs.
What recipe do you use for your stuffed mushrooms? I've never found one I was really satisfied with.

I made the easiest dessert ever and took it to the cookout - not a spoonful was left. I found the recipe in the very back of the Kraft Food magazine. It is a Black Forest trifle. If anyone would like it, pm or post and I will put it on.

Black Forest Mousse Dessert

This is possibly the easiest dessert you will ever make. It is from the Kraft Food and Family magazine - Winter 2006.

1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 package (4 serving size) Jello Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding
1 8 oz tub cool whip
16 Oreo chocolate sandwich cookies, divided
1 1/2 cups canned cherry pie filling

Pour milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 min or until well blended. Gently stir in 1 cup of the whipped topping.

Crush 10 of the cookies coarsely; stir into pudding mixture. Spoon half of the pudding mixture into 1 1/2 quart serving bowl. Spread 1 cup of the remaining whipped topping over pudding mixture.

Top with 1 cup of the pie filling, remaining whipped topping and 1/2 cup pie filling. Crush remaining cookies; sprinkle on top of dessert. Makes 12 servings. It was delicious and some people were going back for seconds only to find the bowl bare. Changing some of the components would really be interesting also. Lots of variations, I would think. Enjoy!

I love to take food to a cookout. Here are some of my favorites:

Macaroni salad
Broccoli salad
Vietnamese chicken salad
Jambalaya
Baked beans
Deep dark chocolate cake
Glazed lemon pound cake
Dutch apple pie

If you like any of these recipes let me know. I would be more than willing to share them. Some of the recipes have already been posted here at DC.

Me too! Also both your cakes, and your jambalaya.

Here's a punch that's always popular at cookouts, or any other occasion for that matter. Not for consumption by children, pregnant women, or anyone who cannot consume alcohol. Kim is my husband, by the way.

Kim's Rocky Mountain Fever Water

INGREDIENTS:
1.75 liter cheap Rum
1.75 liter cheaper Vodka
1.5 gallons orange juice
3 lbs. sugar (or to taste)
1 small bottle Grenadine
6 oranges, sliced
2 large jars Maraschino Cherries

DIRECTIONS:
Fill a 5 gallon container with ice...a round cooler with a spigot is perfect. Add all the ingredients and stir with a ball bat or hoe handle. Let age at least 5 minutes. Be sure to provide a long handled ladle to scoop out the cherries and oranges.
*Note* You may add other fruit, such as Pineapple slices or Mangos, if you wish.
If you have some left over, it keeps fine in the fridge, or you can store it indefinately in the freezer. It won't freeze solid, but makes nice slush.

"I can't even taste the alcohol!"
"That's the plan, Baby, that's the plan!"
Jimmy Buffet, from the song "Grapefruit, Juicy Fruit"

Back
Top Bottom