Another 3-2-1 question...Foil vs oven bags...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah .. i read that .. and i get that foil reflects ..
but i think it also holds heat in better .. i am
interested in your findings ..

You're right.... it certainly does appear some people are skipping over threads.
I suggested you give the bags a try and let us know, UB did the same thing.... some of us our curious, and while we may not have been able to offer any advice on this new method you are trying to develop, we at least responded and wondered why you were having such a hard time with your foil.
And BTW, have you given my space blanket comment any thought? Why do space blankets hold in heat, but aluminum foil doesn't? They're both shiny on both sides... I'm thinking you are confusing reflecting light with reflecting heat. Aluminum takes on heat fast and dissipates heat fast when the heat source is removed. And when you wrap the ribs in anything, you are doing so to keep the heat in as well as the moisture.

I think there's nothing left but for you to give it a try and report back, bacardi. I know some of us our curious, but I doubt I will switch methods because the foil works for me and is a mulit-tasker.

Ribs and efficiency? Those are two words that should be used in the same sentence. Ribs is about taking your time and enjoying the process. What are you hoping to do? Shave off 30 minutes? If you want to shave time off the process raise the temp to 250-275...

Ribs and efficiency? Those are two words that should be used in the same sentence. Ribs is about taking your time and enjoying the process. What are you hoping to do? Shave off 30 minutes? If you want to shave time off the process raise the temp to 250-275...

Why was the 3-2-1 method created? To cook ribs more efficient! Your suggested temps are too high, you'd end up with less tender ribs...Ideally hoping a bag would shave an hour off, but who knows...

You're right.... it certainly does appear some people are skipping over threads.
I suggested you give the bags a try and let us know, UB did the same thing.... some of us our curious, and while we may not have been able to offer any advice on this new method you are trying to develop, we at least responded and wondered why you were having such a hard time with your foil.
And BTW, have you given my space blanket comment any thought? Why do space blankets hold in heat, but aluminum foil doesn't? They're both shiny on both sides... I'm thinking you are confusing reflecting light with reflecting heat. Aluminum takes on heat fast and dissipates heat fast when the heat source is removed. And when you wrap the ribs in anything, you are doing so to keep the heat in as well as the moisture.

I think there's nothing left but for you to give it a try and report back, bacardi. I know some of us our curious, but I doubt I will switch methods because the foil works for me and is a mulit-tasker.

Very informative...With foil, it's common practice to foil the breast of turkey to retard the white meats cooking...

Why was the 3-2-1 method created? To cook ribs more efficient! Your suggested temps are too high, you'd end up with less tender ribs...Ideally hoping a bag would shave an hour off, but who knows...

if you want fall off the bone ribs, raise the temp to 275, smoke for 2 hours and then foil for an hour. Be careful pulling the ribs out of the foil. The bones will be falling out. Another hour on the heat to firm up the bark or add sauce and your ribs will be so tender they will blow you away.

whenever I am cooking for folks that want them fall off the bone tender I use this method....

if you want fall off the bone ribs, raise the temp to 275, smoke for 2 hours and then foil for an hour. Be careful pulling the ribs out of the foil. The bones will be falling out. Another hour on the heat to firm up the bark or add sauce and your ribs will be so tender they will blow you away.

whenever I am cooking for folks that want them fall off the bone tender I use this method....

So 2-1-1 all at 275? I did try something at a 275, I can't remember what I did time wise but it came out dry...I'll give your method a shot...

So why would someone post a question and when they get an answer they want to argue about. It takes all kinds.

No one answered, jumping to conclusions isn't answering :(

Edit, I just wanted to add...It's not like I want I pick fights, it's simply my personality. I'm a get it done guy. Majority of posts added something useful either directly or indirectly to the topic. Some did not...

So 2-1-1 all at 275? I did try something at a 275, I can't remember what I did time wise but it came out dry...I'll give your method a shot...

I cook ribs in the 275 range all the time, if they come out dry it was because they were over done.

I don't use time as much for the guide during the cook. First phase I look for color and meat pull back on the bones. I want good color and about 1/2" or more pull back. The second phase (in foil) I look for tenderness. I don't go for falling off the bone so the ribs are in the foil 35 to 45 min.
I will put a little honey, raw sugar, cayenne, and a little hot sauce in the foil and place the ribs face down in mixture, add a little fruit juice either apple or pineapple, seal the foil. I know it is time to pull the rack out of the foil if I can slide a toothpick in the meat between the bones and feels like it is going through warm butter. Then they come out the foil and back on the cooker only long enough to set the glaze I apply (if I use a glaze) 20 to 30 mins max. If I don't glaze them they only go back on long enouth to set the mixture from the foil phase.

This is the competition technique they are sweet but the rub I use has some heat that comes through. You get tang from sauce, some sweetness, the meat and a spicy finish for a flavor print.
Jim

I tried this last night, 2-1-1 at 275 all in an oven. IMO, not as tender or overall as good as the 3-2-1 method...However, it was maybe 90% as good. That's very impressive considered you shave the cooking time down 2hours/33%...

Amazing that those plastic bags can take that heat. However, I don't like to cook with anything plastic, microwave included.

I guess I am in the Uncle Bob camp: I don't cover my ribs, chicken, turkey, brisket etc. meats very much. I like my meat moist, but I also like the crust from exposure to direct heat. I just use lower heat. Yes, it takes more time, but for me the flavor and crust is worth it. Why be in a hurry? Just my dos centavos. :)

Love the cooking bags

Got to thinking, what about those plastic oven bags? Those seal 100%, would those work better than foil? Anyone ever try them?[/QUOTE]

Yes and I absolutely love them, my meat is always tender and I cook chicken around 45 min and it is tender and juicy I cook all kinds of meats in the bags and they are great!

I have used them many times. I roast chickens in them. They produce a LOT of juice. Great for gravy. The meat comes out really tender. You use a twist tie at the top. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom