"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
My First attempt at Jerky

Finally worked up the courage to smoke some Jerky.

I saw a tray of "Heartsmart Stirfry Beef Strips" in the supermarket & thought it a good idea to use them instead of cutting my own strips. It was relatively cheap & was topside ends finely cut in strips about 2mm thick.

I brined the beef overnight in a simple brine.
1/4 cup pure salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn smoked paprika
1/2 tspn cayenne
4 cups water.

The beef strips were then padded dry with kitchen paper, layed in racks & placed at one end of our hooded BBQ.

Wood used was Pecan (type of Hickory) and was placed over burner at other end. Hood temp was kept below 200C, although temp surrounding meat was much less (being much lower situated).

Smoking time was about 4 hours, rotating meat every hour, wood used was about 3 kgs.

Jerky ended up extremely tender and "Bewdiful", ideal for serving with drinks & guests wouldn't need to chew on it for ages.

Next time I will cut the meat into decent strips, 5mm thick.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Master Chef

Brooksy,

I don't know much about making jerky, but it sounds good. Keep up the trying different things that is how you will figure out what works for you.

SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

i tried a marinade made primarily w/ worcestershire and it was delish.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Head Chef

somwhere way back, several months ago there was alot of info on Jerky. I'm ashamed to say I forgot who furnished all the info but I do remember it was great. Hope it can be found again.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
i tried a marinade made primarily w/ worcestershire and it was delish.
Worsty Sauce . One of heaven's gifts' to Humanity. I love Worsty (pronounced Woosty). How did you smoke your's Luvs? Just on the old hood or in a box?

I am looking for some materials at the moment & intend to make a lightweight smoke box to do it properly. This attempt was to see if the brine worked ok, & I could keep the temp down to a reasonable level and still produce a reasonable amount of smoke.

Trouble is though, I started with 2 pounds of meat and the end result only lasted about a day.
Next time I won't tell a soul.

Give it a go Sierra it really does work and it is beautiful. We have Raine, our resident expert to help out, but if everything is done correctly, it works and tastes great.

Trust me.........

Thumper - I'm sure I got the brine recipe from here, but all we need to do is ask & many of our readers will assist anyway. I don't know where to look on this site since the 'shake up' but there is plenty of info web wide...

DW will be on the look out for some good round or topside for me to slice.
I'll do a couple of kilo next time.

Needed much more chilli though. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:39 AM   #6
Master Chef

i just did mine in the oven, brooks! i put it on baking sheets and set the oven at 200 w/ the door propped open and it dried out beautifully, till my Mom decided to cook dinner and turned the oven on again. (i was storing the finished jerky in there to keep it from the kitties until i found proper bags/jars to store it in). but we all LOVED the pieces we had before Mom accidentally botched the rest of the batch, lol. my brother, who is rather honest about what he thinks of my cooking, said it was the most delicious jerky he's tasted in his life. Mom apologized profusely.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 AM   #7
Sous Chef

It's a bit of a worry if your brother give you a compliment.

Can you remember what else was in your marinade with the Worsty?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

it was the fever, brooksy. it was something like 104. after he took some aceteminophen he was cured of the kindness, lol.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #9
Master Chef

you inspired me, brooks. i bought 2 pkgs. of thinly-sliced sirloin (yeah, yeah, i use sirloin, OKAY, lol ) and 2 bottles of worcestershire so i can make some jerky. can't wait till it's done!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
you inspired me, brooks. i bought 2 pkgs. of thinly-sliced sirloin (yeah, yeah, i use sirloin, OKAY, lol ) and 2 bottles of worcestershire so i can make some jerky. can't wait till it's done!
Good on you mate

I did another batch using a different marinade - with more chilli turned out really good. I used round steak & thicker. DW didn't like the texture much - being more chewy, but I reckon it was great.

Sirloin & pure Worsty wow, that's really extravagant. DW would have my guts if I even thought of using Worsty like that. She even got upset when I used a tablespoon.

Did you know the Royal Butcher's name is Sir Loin of Steak?

Haven't been on over the past couple of days. Sorry for not responding earlier..............